Time  2 hours 6 minutes

Coordinates 1063

Uploaded August 26, 2018

Recorded August 2018

-
-
182 f
10 f
0
0.8
1.6
3.28 mi

Viewed 198 times, downloaded 21 times

near Pile, Dubrovačko-Neretvanska (Hrvatska)

|
Show original
Walk through the streets of Dubrovnik (city declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO), entering through the Pile Gate, during which we have seen many buildings, churches, chapels, palaces, fountains, forts, squares, ports, docks, walls, alleys, etc., all of great beauty, where it seems that time has stopped in past eras.

I recommend that this visit be completed with the walk through the walls (we could not do it since they were about to close and they did not allow us to enter).

History of Dubrovnik.-
The successful development of Dubrovnik (former Ragusa) in the past based on maritime trade, was mainly due to its good geographical location.

At the entrance to the Adriatic, it is the first place protected by islands on the sea routes that go from east to west and through the Neretva valley you can quickly access the interior. The latest archaeological research confirms that there were already populations in the location of the city in the sixth century and probably earlier. This settlement is extended with the arrival of the Croats after the abandonment of the ancient Epidaur (the current Cavtat) in the seventh century.

The increase of traffic between east and west during and after the crusades accelerated in the 12th and 13th centuries the development of the bases of maritime trade in the Mediterranean and the Adriatic, including Dubrovnik. Fundamental for its additional and successful development was the liberation of the Venetian influence, which Dubrovnik achieved as a consequence, in 1358, of the Treaty of Zadar. The other Dalmatian cities did not succeed, falling in 1420 definitively under the control of the Republic of Venice. During the 14th and 15th centuries Dubrovnik became, together with Venice and Ancona, the most important commercial and maritime center of the Adriatic. Through contracts and purchases, the inhabitants of Dubrovnik expanded their territory from Klek in the north to Sutorina, at the entrance to the Bay of Kotor, together with the Elaphite Islands and the islands of Mljet, Lastovo and Lokrum.

In the fifteenth century the legal status of the Republic of Ragusa was fully established, which implied the independent election of dukes and councilors, the issuance of currency and the official banner with the effigy of San Blas, a legal system of its own as well as the right to open consulates abroad. According to its aristocratic constitution, the basis of government was constituted by the Great Council of Nobles that elected the Council of Elect and the Minor Council as the executive organ of the Grand Council. The Duke was elected every month as a nominal symbol of power.

The inhabitants of Dubrovnik already had very well organized trade routes from the interior of the Balkans in the 15th century. Due to the increasingly strong political control of the Turks in the Balkans, the Republic of Ragusa accepted Turkish protection and tribute payments in 1525 but in turn obtained freedom of trade throughout the Ottoman Empire by paying tariffs of only the 2%. The small state, without its own army, managed to have perfect defenses through a skilled diplomatic service and an extensive network of consulates. A continued neutrality in international conflicts and the protection of more powerful states, such as Spain and the Vatican, allowed him to maintain his independence. The only adversary and permanent enemy was the Republic of Venice.

The golden age of the Republic of Ragusa is the sixteenth century when the brilliance and power of the Republic of Venice falls into decline. The basis of its prosperity must be found in maritime trade. The merchant marine of Ragusa reaches world level during the sixteenth century with a quality fleet of about 180 to 200 ships. Increasing ships of the galleon, ratchet, and nao type are being built, embarking on ever longer and more dangerous journeys across the Mediterranean, the Black Sea, and the oceans, from the ports of southern England and Germany to India. and America. The inhabitants of Ragusa acquire world fame and are required as transporters, developing a wide network of maritime-commercial businesses.

The material wealth, the sense of security and freedom had as a consequence the formation of a cultural life with a humanistic spirit and led to a growing creative enthusiasm. Dubrovnik reaches bright limits in its urban and architectural development that are preserved to this day in literature and poetry (Marin Držić, Ivan Gundulić), knowledge (Ruđer Bošković) and many other fields of art and culture.

The global crisis of maritime trade in the seventeenth century Mediterranean also affected the maritime trade of Dubrovnik. The brutal earthquake of 1667 led the Republic of Ragusa to a critical situation of struggle for its survival and for the political maintenance of its independence. The eighteenth century offers Dubrovnik the possibility of renewing its industry through maritime trade under a neutral flag and this is how Napoleon ends the Republic of Ragusa in 1808.

The Congress of Vienna of 1815 determines that the Dubrovnik region is part of the rest of Dalmatia and Croatia, with which it shares a common political destiny.

After the declaration of independence of the Republic of Croatia and the Serbian aggression, Dubrovnik suffered attacks, in October 1991, perpetrated by the Serbian and Montenegrin forces of a destructive capacity never seen with the aim of conquering and destroying the entire region. Parts of Dubrovnik were occupied and suffered considerable damage and the city suffered a siege of 8 months and was repeatedly bombarded and brutally damaged, especially on December 6, 1991.

At present most of the Dubrovnik monuments damaged in the war have been restored. The renovation of hotels, the valuable contents of the Dubrovnik Summer Festival as well as other cultural events are important requirements for the development of modern tourism.
Waypoint

Inicio y final - Plaza Brsalje

Door

Puerta de Pile

Waypoint

Palacios Espoza y Grada Dubronija (Ayuntamiento). Iglesia de San Blai

Sacred architecture

Catedral y Rector's palace

Sacred architecture

Iglesias de San Ignacio y Santa Margarita. Escaleras de acceso

Waypoint

Calles junto a las murallas de Dubrovnik

Sacred architecture

Iglesias de San Sebastián, del Santo Rosario y de la Anunciación. Puerta de Ploce

Mooring point

Muelle del Arsenal (Barcos y botes turísticos)

Castle

Fuerte de Sant Juan

Waypoint

Rincones de la ciudad antigua

Sacred architecture

Iglesia Ortodoxa de la Anunciación

Comments

    You can or this trail