Wikiloc will stop soon for maintenance

 

Moving time  one hour 32 minutes

Time  4 hours 38 minutes

Coordinates 1107

Uploaded November 20, 2018

Recorded November 2018

-
-
1,232 f
948 f
0
1.0
2.1
4.13 mi

Viewed 104 times, downloaded 17 times

near Ljubljana, Mestna Občina Ljubljana (Slovenija)

|
Show original
As a Roman military camp of the Legio XV Apollinaris in the middle of the 1st century BC, its character as a city was consolidated with the foundation of the Colonia Iulia Emona years later, after successive destruction, in the 6th century the ancestors settled of the Slovenes, and in the eleventh century fell under the rule of the Franks.As from 1278, after its conquest by Rudolph I of Hapsburg, the city passed into the hands of the Habsburgs, a situation that lasted until 1797.
During the Napoleonic period, Ljubljana was the capital of the Illyrian Provinces and between 1816 and 1849 it was the Kingdom of Illyria, and in 1918, after the First World War, it joined the Kingdom of the Serbs, Croats and Slovenes, and after the Second World War became the capital of the Socialist Republic of Slovenia, forming part of Yugoslavia.In 1991, after a war, Slovenia became independent from Yugoslavia, being since Ljubljana the capital of the country.
Its historical and monumental heritage, as well as various cultural celebrations that take place throughout the year, among which the International Summer Festival stands out, make it a city that receives both national and international tourism.
Among its most representative monuments are the Cathedral, the Castle, the Franciscan Church of the Annunciation and the Bridge of the Dragons, as well as the set of modernist buildings. The architect Jože Plečnik signed many of the most outstanding buildings in the city.
The Bridge of the Dragons, decorated with the figures of dragons, is the best-known image of Ljubljana. It was built between 1900 and 1901, being the first real construction in iron and concrete in the city and one of the first bridges in Europe.
The central bridge of The three bridges (Tromostovje), is made of stone and was built in 1842, replacing the old wooden bridge, a medieval bridge of strategic position that connected the peoples of north-western Europe with the Balkans. Plečnik subsequently added two more bridges, intended for pedestrians, thus creating the distinctive architectural monument of Ljubljana.
The Ljubljana castle is the most distinctive element of Ljubljana. From its tower you can enjoy a beautiful view of the city. The castle can be reached by funicular, there are two restaurants: Gostilna na gradu and Strelec.
La Universidad de Liubliana, fue fundada en 1919.
The Franciscan Church of the Annunciation is a Franciscan temple located in the Prešeren square, next to the Ljubljanica river. It was built between 1646 and 1660, replacing the old church in the same place. Its structure has the shape of an early baroque basilica, with a central nave and two rows of side chapels. The main altar is the work of the sculptor Francesco Robba, from the mid-eighteenth century. Much of the original frescoes, by Matevž Langus, were destroyed by the cracks in the ceiling caused by the earthquake of 1895. The new frescoes were painted between 1935 and 1936 by the Slovenian painter Matej Sternen. Next to the church is the Franciscan monastery, dating from the 13th century, famous for its library, which contains more than 70,000 books, many of them incunabula and medieval manuscripts. Founded in 1233, the monastery was initially located in the square, to move to the current location during the reforms of the late seventeenth century.
The Catholic Cathedral of St. Nicholas (Stolnica svetega Nikolaja) is the only cathedral in the city. Easily identifiable thanks to its green dome and its twin towers, it is located in Vodnik Square, near the Triple Bridge (Tromostovje) .51 Previously, the place was occupied by a Romanesque church with three naves whose first mentions date back to 1262. In 1361, a fire caused its destruction and was rebuilt following the patterns of the Gothic style. In 1461 the archdiocese of Ljubljana was established. A new fire, presumably caused by the Ottomans, destroys the building in 1469 again. Finally, between 1701 and 1706, the Jesuit architect Andrea Pozzo designed a new baroque church with two side chapels, in the form of a Latin cross, and the dome was built in the center of the church in 1841.

Comments

    You can or this trail