Download

Distance

3.46 mi

Elevation gain

23 ft

Technical difficulty

Easy

Elevation loss

23 ft

Max elevation

801 ft

Trailrank

76 5

Min elevation

664 ft

Trail type

Loop

Time

2 hours 40 minutes

Coordinates

1402

Uploaded

November 29, 2021

Recorded

November 2021
  • Rating

     
  • Information

     
  • Easy to follow

     
  • Scenery

     

Search by Passing Area

Find trails starting or passing through your selected areas.

Get Wikiloc Premium Upgrade to remove Ads
Search by Passing Area Search by Passing Area
Share
-
-
801 ft
664 ft
3.46 mi

Viewed 861 times, downloaded 29 times

near Colmar, Grand Est (France)

This route visits the historic center of Colmar. We walk through beautiful streets with half-timbered houses and pass most of the famous monuments and sights.

The route starts at a spacious parking lot on the Place du Capitaine Dreyfus. Parking is free here (updated 2021). From here we walk in the direction of the center, in the meantime passing close to the train station. So it is also possible to follow this route from the station.
We will visit the following places along the way:

Monument to Admiral Bruat
The Monument to Admiral Bruat is a bronze sculpture by Auguste Bartholdi inaugurated in 1864 and classified as a historical monument since August 7, 1946.

Place des Dominicaines
The square owes its name to the presence of the Order of Preachers, also called Dominicans. In this square is their former convent.

Chiesa Collégiale Saint-Martin
ST MARTIN COLLEGIAL CHURCH - PLACE DE LA CATHEDRALE - The construction of St Martin's Collegiate Church was started in 1235 and completed towards the end of the 15th century, and is as imposing as a real cathedral. The austere western facade is supported by powerful buttresses. Of the two towers originally planned, only the south tower was completed. The transept was completed in 1263, the nave around 1300, and the present choir around 1400. One gets completely enchanted when one opens the doors and is immediately charmed by the clarity, unity and almost organic layout of the room.

Corps de garde
OLD GUARDHOUSE - PLACE DE LA CATHÉDRALE - The former chapel Saint-Jacques (mentioned already in 1286), which for a time served as the town hall, was converted in 1575 for secular purposes. Above a vaulted ossuary, the building houses a guardhouse on the lower floor and rooms on the upper floor. The loggia, built from 1577 to 1582, and its rich decorative repertoire, together with the portal, is a jewel of the Renaissance architecture in the Upper Rhine.

Maison Pfister
HOUSE PFISTER - RUE DES MARCHANDS - This bourgeois house was built in 1537 by the hatter Louis SCHERER from Besançon, who became rich by exploiting the silver mines of Val de Lièpvre. This Renaissance house still relies heavily on medieval architecture. The iconography in which atleqorieen, characters from the Old and New Testaments are combined with portraits of emperors, perfectly reflects the taste of the merchant bourgeoisie for the humanistic culture of the Renaissance.

Petite Venise
LITTLE VENICE - RUE TURENNE - «Little Venice» is the name given to the Lauch in Colmar. This name probably comes from the original line of houses on either side of the river on the southeast side of the town. Originally inhabited by a rural community of winegrowers, gardeners and boatmen, the Krutenau extends around the rue Turenne, which the Marshal used in 1674 for his triumphal entry into the city

Marché couvert
THE COVERED MARKET - RUE DES TANNEURS - Designed in 1865, this brick and steel building served a variety of functions until it regained its original role as a market hall in September 2010. About twenty traders welcome you all year round to offer you fresh quality products: fruits and vegetables, butchery, delicatessen. cheese, bread, fish and other delicious regional products.

Rue de la Poissonnerie
THE FISH AREA - RUE DE LA POISSONNERIE - A picturesque row of half-timbered houses borders the Lauch. Most of them are old houses of boatmen and fishermen, who used to set their traps in the river. On the rue de la Poissonnerie, you reach the «Little Venice», the most romantic part of the Krutenau district, formerly a gardener's quarter. It was via the Lauch River that the horticulturists transported their goods to the city on flat-bottomed boats that looked like gondolas

Hôtel de ville
The site of the CITY HALL had been occupied since the end of the 16th century by the Court of the Cistercian abbey of Pairis. The old buildings were demolished in 1778, in order to build the current building. This building housed the departmental administration in 1790, the Haut-Rhin prefecture in 1800 and then, since 1866, the town hall. The main facade has been registered as a historic monument since June 18, 1929.
It is a neoclassical building, built by the Abbey of Pairis, and comprising two floors, surmounted by a segmented roof. On the ground floor, the front door is flanked by two windows and lined with chains of cut stones. The forepart is surmounted by a triangular pediment, in the tympanum of which appear the arms of the City. On the first floor there is a small wrought iron balcony, bounded by the two medial pilasters (Wikipedia)

Théâtre municipal
The MUNICIPAL THEATER was built between 1847 and 1849 on a former outbuilding of the Unterlinden convent by the architect Louis-Michel Boltz. It was inaugurated on March 8, 1849 and underwent restoration in 2000, increasing from 550 to 750 seats.
The theatre offers an elegant exterior “à la française” with five bays. The plan includes three successive bodies: vestibule and foyer room for the first; hall and stage for the second; administrative premises and lodges for the third. Its interior decoration is the work of Boulangé.
Attendence is around 32,000 spectators per year for 120 performances. (Wikipedia)

Maison des Têtes
HOUSE WITH THE HEADS RUE DES TETES This bourgeois house, built in 1609 in the Renaissance style of the Rhine, owes its name to the special decoration of 105 grotesque masks. A beautiful oriel on two floors, lined with a balcony, adorns its facade which is irregularly decorated with carved upper mantle windows. An Alsatian bronze cooper, the work of Auguste Bartholdi, crowns the magnificent facade. This reminds us that this building was once used as a wine exchange.

If you think this is a nice track, please write a feedback. If you have had any problems, please comment and explain the solution you found. Remember that it takes less time to write a comment or review than it takes to create and post a track! But only in this way the information remains up-to-date.
Monument

Monument to Admiral Bruat

  • Photo of Monument to Admiral Bruat
The Monument to Admiral Bruat is a bronze sculpture by Auguste Bartholdi inaugurated in 1864 and classified as a historical monument since August 7, 1946.
Photo

Place des Dominicaines

  • Photo of Place des Dominicaines
  • Photo of Place des Dominicaines
  • Photo of Place des Dominicaines
The square owes its name to the presence of the Order of Preachers, also called Dominicans. In this square is their former convent.
Religious site

Chiesa Collégiale Saint-Martin

  • Photo of Chiesa Collégiale Saint-Martin
ST MARTIN COLLEGIAL CHURCH - PLACE DE LA CATHEDRALE - The construction of St Martin's Collegiate Church was started in 1235 and completed towards the end of the 15th century, and is as imposing as a real cathedral. The austere western facade is supported by powerful buttresses. Of the two towers originally planned, only the south tower was completed. The transept was completed in 1263, the nave around 1300, and the present choir around 1400. One gets completely enchanted when one opens the doors and is immediately charmed by the clarity, unity and almost organic layout of the room.
Monument

Corps de garde

  • Photo of Corps de garde
  • Photo of Corps de garde
OLD GUARDHOUSE - PLACE DE LA CATHÉDRALE - The former chapel Saint-Jacques (mentioned already in 1286), which for a time served as the town hall, was converted in 1575 for secular purposes. Above a vaulted ossuary, the building houses a guardhouse on the lower floor and rooms on the upper floor. The loggia, built from 1577 to 1582, and its rich decorative repertoire, together with the portal, is a jewel of the Renaissance architecture in the Upper Rhine.
Photo

Maison Pfister

  • Photo of Maison Pfister
  • Photo of Maison Pfister
  • Photo of Maison Pfister
  • Photo of Maison Pfister
HOUSE PFISTER - RUE DES MARCHANDS - This bourgeois house was built in 1537 by the hatter Louis SCHERER from Besançon, who became rich by exploiting the silver mines of Val de Lièpvre. This Renaissance house still relies heavily on medieval architecture. The iconography in which atleqorieen, characters from the Old and New Testaments are combined with portraits of emperors, perfectly reflects the taste of the merchant bourgeoisie for the humanistic culture of the Renaissance.
Photo

Petite Venise

  • Photo of Petite Venise
  • Photo of Petite Venise
LITTLE VENICE - RUE TURENNE - «Little Venice» is the name given to the Lauch in Colmar. This name probably comes from the original line of houses on either side of the river on the southeast side of the town. Originally inhabited by a rural community of winegrowers, gardeners and boatmen, the Krutenau extends around the rue Turenne, which the Marshal used in 1674 for his triumphal entry into the city.
Monument

Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie

  • Photo of Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie
  • Photo of Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie
  • Photo of Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie
  • Photo of Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie
  • Photo of Marché couvert and Rue de la Poissonnerie
THE COVERED MARKET - RUE DES TANNEURS - Designed in 1865, this brick and steel building served a variety of functions until it regained its original role as a market hall in September 2010. About twenty traders welcome you all year round to offer you fresh quality products: fruits and vegetables, butchery, delicatessen. cheese, bread, fish and other delicious regional products. // THE FISH AREA - RUE DE LA POISSONNERIE - A picturesque row of half-timbered houses borders the Lauch. Most of them are old houses of boatmen and fishermen, who used to set their traps in the river. On the rue de la Poissonnerie, you reach the «Little Venice», the most romantic part of the Krutenau district, formerly a gardener's quarter. It was via the Lauch River that the horticulturists transported their goods to the city on flat-bottomed boats that looked like gondolas.
Photo

Boulanger patissier

  • Photo of Boulanger patissier
Monument

Hôtel de ville

  • Photo of Hôtel de ville
  • Photo of Hôtel de ville
Location. The building is located at 48, rue des Clefs in Colmar. / Historical. The site had been occupied since the end of the 16th century by the Court of the Cistercian abbey of Pairis. The old buildings were demolished in 1778, in order to build the current building. / This building housed the departmental administration in 1790, the Haut-Rhin prefecture in 1800 and then, since 1866, the town hall. / The main facade has been registered as a historic monument since June 18, 1929. / Architecture. It is a neoclassical building, built by the Abbey of Pairis, and comprising two floors, surmounted by a segmented roof. On the ground floor, the front door is flanked by two windows and lined with chains of cut stones. The forepart is surmounted by a triangular pediment, in the tympanum of which appear the arms of the City. On the first floor there is a small wrought iron balcony, bounded by the two medial pilasters.
Monument

Théâtre municipal

  • Photo of Théâtre municipal
Historical. The building was built between 1847 and 1849 on a former outbuilding of the Unterlinden convent by the architect Louis-Michel Boltz. It was inaugurated on March 8, 1849 and underwent restoration in 2000, increasing from 550 to 750 seats. / Architecture. It offers an elegant exterior “à la française” with five bays. The plan includes three successive bodies: vestibule and foyer room for the first; hall and stage for the second; administrative premises and lodges for the third. Its interior decoration is the work of Boulangé. / Attendance Around 32,000 spectators per year for 120 performances. / Wikipedia
Monument

Maison des Têtes

  • Photo of Maison des Têtes
  • Photo of Maison des Têtes
  • Photo of Maison des Têtes
  • Photo of Maison des Têtes
HOUSE WITH THE HEADS RUE DES TETES This bourgeois house, built in 1609 in the Renaissance style of the Rhine, owes its name to the special decoration of 105 grotesque masks. A beautiful oriel on two floors, lined with a balcony, adorns its facade which is irregularly decorated with carved upper mantle windows. An Alsatian bronze cooper, the work of Auguste Bartholdi, crowns the magnificent facade. This reminds us that this building was once used as a wine exchange.

2 comments

  • Photo of Rami Rachkidi

    Rami Rachkidi Dec 27, 2021

    I have followed this trail  View more

    Great city walk! Perfect for families. Thank you

  • Photo of Erik De Groot

    Erik De Groot Dec 27, 2021

    Thanks for the review Rami! Great to know you enjoyed the track. Colmar is a beautiful, well kept city indeed!

You can or this trail