Viewed 81 times, downloaded 0 times
near Maidenhall, England (United Kingdom)
The Sandlings Walk starts from Kesgrave (Ipswich) and heads north and east to Southwold.
This guide splits the route into thirteen circular walks. The waymarked Sandlings route is about 60 miles long. These circular routes total 123 miles. The Suffolk Sandlings are areas of heathland with poor sandy soil. This habitat has become rare and valuable. Much of the terrain has been converted to arable farm land or forest plantations. The walk is well signposted. Look out for sculptures at intervals along the route. The habitats are very diverse and there are some fine views. As well as forest, heath and arable crops, expect pig farms and huge areas of mown lawn, some of which have been harvested for rolls of turf. Clay clogged boots are unlikely in this sandy terrain.
GPX and KML DOWNLOADS
During November 2018, the entire walk was logged using a Garmin eTrex 20 hand-held GPS receiver. The downloadable track logs are quite accurate and generally better than similar offerings on-line that were created from maps without actually doing the walk! Several downloads copy each other and get the Kesgrave start/end point wrong.
MAPS from OpenStreetMap
OpenStreetMap allows you to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt their data, as long as it's credited to OpenStreetMap and its contributors. The maps in this guide add track logs to OpenStreetMap. These may be distributed under the same licence ...
1) 8.2 Miles - Ipswich Railway Station to the Sandlings Start - (This extra leg is not part of the "official" route.)
2) 12.5 Miles - Kesgrave and Martlesham
3) 10.7 Miles - Martleshan and Melton - (At high tide part of this route might be under water for an hour or two.)
3.1) 12.2 Miles - Ipswich to Melton Train Walk - (At high tide mile nine might be under water for an hour or two.)
4) 10.5 Miles - Sutton, near Sutton Hoo
5) 8.0 Miles - Rendlesham and the UFO trail
6) 10.8 Miles - Butley
7) 9.6 Miles - Snape South and Tunstall Forest
8) 10.5 Miles - Snape North
9) 8.4 Miles - Aldringham
10) 9.6 Miles - Sizewell and Minsmere
11) 11 Miles - Dunwich Forest and Heath
12) 8.5 Miles - Walberswick (October 2018: The bridge to Southwold is closed for repairs)
13) 4.6 Miles - Southwold (The route has been extended to include the pier.)
TM 475 629, Sizewell Gap (Pay)
TM 479 707, Dunwich Beach