Moving time  3 hours 18 minutes

Time  3 hours 55 minutes

Coordinates 2971

Uploaded October 16, 2018

Recorded October 2018

-
-
302 f
-138 f
0
2.7
5.4
10.8 mi

Viewed 140 times, downloaded 6 times

near Senhora do Porto, Porto (Portugal)

If you want to see the major HOT spots in Porto, this is a great track.

In just 4h hiking you will see all the things that are in the photo album.

The only thing that isn't in this track is the Rua Santa Catarina and some monuments that are near. But with a small detour you can see all that.

http://visitporto.travel/Visitar/Paginas/default.aspx
Situated in the parish of Ramalde, the Casa da Prelada and the garden surroundings, where one of the biggest labyrinths of Iberian Peninsula is, are integral part of the biggest landscape conjunct planned by the Italian architect Nicolau Nasoni - the Quinta da Prelada. Until the beginnings of the 20th century, the Casa and Quinta da Prelada belonged to the Noronha and Menezes family. In 1903, the last owner, D. Francisco Noronha Menzes, donated the property to the Misericórdia do Porto. After having undergone extensive refurbishment, the Casa is nowadays a cultural space.
Building designed by the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas, Casa da Música was inaugurated in 2005 and since then has become an icon of contemporary architecture, attracting visitors from many different parts of the world. The programming, which is both dynamic and innovative, ranges from classical music to the forefront of urban trends, benefiting greatly from their four resident groups: Symphony Orchestra, Remix Ensemble, Baroque Orchestra and Choir. The institution also plays an important role in education, promoting concerts, workshops and various activities for families with children and schools. Daily there are guided tours to the building, which has several bars and a restaurant located on the rooftop, with a magnificent view over the city. 50% discount on visits to Casa da Música.
Located at the famous Rotunda da Boavista (roundabout), it stretches out around the imposing "Tribute Monument to the Heroes of the Peninsular War' which stands in its centre, designed by Marques da Silva. In the garden surrounding the monument special attention goes to the liquidambars, oaks, linden trees, tulips and some palm trees. "Tribute to the Portuguese and British Victory Against Napoleon Troops" In 1907, in order to celebrate the 100 years of the Peninsular War (1807-1814), a contest to build a public monument in memory of the tragic war against the Napoleonic Army was proposed. The chosen monument was this 45-meter-high (147.6 feet) column, designed by Marques da Silva with the aid of the sculptor, Alves de Sousa. The image on the top of the column represents the victory of a lion (symbol of the resistance) against the Imperial Napoleonic Eagle. At the base of the monument there's an image of Victory conducting the Portuguese and the British armies. On the other side there is a scene from the Ponte das Barcas tragedy.
Also known as Quinta do Sacramento or Quinta da Macieirinha, this country house from the late 18th century, was acquired by the City Council in 1972, to install there the museum. This space aims to recreate the indoor atmospheres of a wealthy house from the 19th century, approaching the aesthetics, the manners and habitudes related to Romanticism, the city from the 19th century, as well as to perpetuate the memory of Carlos Alberto of Savoy, King of Sardinia and Prince of Piedmont. This romantic figure, who the city has welcomed wholeheartedly, came to die in this house, on 28 July 1849, sad, ill and exiled from his motherland. http://www.visitporto.travel/visitar/paginas/viagem/DetalhesPOI.aspx?POI=607
The Romantic Gardens of Palácio de Cristal occupy an area of 8 hectares in Porto's centre and they were designed in the 19th century by the German landscape architect Émille David, in the context of constructing the building of Palácio de Cristal (Crystal Palace). Currently, the following still remain preserved in accordance with the original project: Jardim Émille David at the main entrance, Avenida das Tílias, the forest and the balconies' design over the river Douro. We can also contemplate magnificent panoramic views over the river and the city that the viewpoints in strategic places offer to us. It is to be noted that these gardens, making a good use of the botanic heritage and of the ludic-cultural dynamics, is home to an Environmental Education Centre.
The name that it is known for comes from exotic and gigantic sirens that flank its doorway. The building was constructed in the mid-18th century for residence of the family Portocarrero in a place where an old Jewish quarter was located. The Portocarrero family left the palace in 1809, the time when the populace slaughtered their son deeming him to be involved in the French invasion. Since then the palace remained closed until 1955, being sold to the Institute of the Daughters of Charity (Instituto das Filhas da Caridade) that set up there the college Casa Madalena de Canossa which still runs in present days.
A neoclassical building, built in the 19th century, according to a project carried out by the engineer Jean F. G. Colson. It has two facades, one facing the Douro river and one facing the city. Note the structural solutions that resorted to the use of iron in conjunction with other materials - stone, brick or wood - depending on the functionality of the different spaces. In 1987, it was decided to house the future Museum of Transport and Communications, in the building belonging to the Association with the same name. For this, restoration and adaptation works were carried out, according to the project by the architect Eduardo Souto Moura. The Association for the Transport and Communications Museum (Associação para o Museu dos Transportes e Comunicações-A.M.T.C) also manages a Congress Centre, spread across various areas in the Building of Alfândega Nova do Porto.
The Municipal Park of Virtues is located where the Porto Gardens Company was set before. Projected by José Marques Loureiro (1830-1898), it was bought in 1965 by the City Council of Porto and, in 1998, restoration works were carried out. One of the particularities of this garden is the fact of being vertical, in other words, it stretches out on the steep slope terraces, and therefore, from almost every part of it, there is a unique view over the Alfândega (Customs Building), the river Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia.
The lane has an excellent view over the river, down to the river Douro mouth bar. In the foreground one can see the Fountain of Virtudes and the terraces that go all the way down to São Pedro de Miragaia. Along the river, it is possible to see the imposing building of the former Customs House.
Carmelitas church: Seventeenth century church whose classical façade dates from the 1850s. The project has been attributed to the architect/painter Nicolau Nasoni. The altarpiece, of Porto rococo style, was considered to be a stylistically revolutionary piece. Building designated national monument. Carmo Church: Church built in the second half of the eighteenth century. Due to its architecture and interior carvings, it is considered to be one of the most remarkable buildings of Porto rococo. In 1912, its lateral façade was covered with tiles. The drawings on those tiles were designed by Silvestre Silvestri. They are figurative compositions alluding to the cult of Nossa Senhora (Our Lady). Building designated national monument. Rectory of the University of Porto Designed by Carlos Amarante in the neoclassical style and financed by the Literary Subsidy, a tax on wine, 1803. The building, of classical style, has some similarities with the Santo António Hospital. In 1911 it housed the Faculty of Sciences, and presently houses the Rectory and the Natural History Museum of the University of Porto. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
Lello bookstoreHISTORY LIVRARIA LELLO HAS BEEN A BOOKSHOP OF THE PRESENT SINCE 1906. TODAY, IT CARRIES MORE THAN A CENTURY OF HERITAGE WITH ITS ARCHITECTURE AND THE BOOKSELLING KNOWLEDGE THAT TAKE PART IN THE VISITORS EXPERIENCE VISITING LIVRARIA LELLO. The origins of Livraria Lello take us back to 1881, when the brothers José and António Lello opened in Porto an establishment dedicated to the commerce and edition of books. José Lello, a man of culture, reading enthusiast, book and music lover, dreamed of becoming a bookseller, which came true in 1881. Several years later, his brother, António Lello, also came into this bookseller business. At this time Lello brothers move the business to Rua do Almada, unaware that the building that would take its name until the next millennium was only a few blocks away. It’s only in 1894 that José Lello buys Chardron Bookshop with all its exclusive archive. Chardron Bookshop had already made its name in the hands of the French Ernesto Chardron, having published the first editions of iconic works such as those of Eça de Queirós or Camilo Castelo Branco. On the January 13th of 1906 is inaugurated the Livraria Lello’s building as we know it today, shaped by the magnificent vision of engineer Francisco Xavier Esteves. The inauguration takes place in an environment full of significant political figures, artists, respected bourgeois and city merchants, among which stand out the writer Guerra Junqueiro, the director of O Comércio, Bento Carqueja, the writer Júlio Brandão and Aurélio Paz dos Reis, the pioneer of cinema in Portugal. A remarkable growth in Oporto tourism during the last years increased, consequently, Livraria Lello’s tourism, this growth led to a new business model of the bookshop visits with the introduction of vouchers, which value can be deductible in books. However, this new business model didn’t deviate Livraria Lello from its true essence: a bookshop of the world in Oporto, open to every literature enthusiasts. In 2016 and 2017, Livraria Lello embraced the challenge of the building’s refurbishment with the purpose of protecting the bookshop’s heritage, renovating its interior and restoring the façade and stained glass. ClérigosThis baroque work by Nicolau Nasoni was built in the first half of the eighteenth century. The Clérigos Tower is one of the most emblematic monuments of the city of Porto. The panoramic view over the city and the river Douro which can be seen from the top of the tower makes the 240 step climb worth the effort. Capitalising on the recent work to renovate and reconvert one of the most significant buildings in the city of Porto, based on a project which rapidly resolved the restrictions on accessing the complex, a multi-sensory facility has been created which simulates the experience of climbing up the Torre dos Clérigos, which is accessible and available to all visitors. In the building of the Torre dos Clérigos, you'll find a part of the Brotherhood's holdings and the Christus Collection, taking you back to a time and space where art and religion complemented each other.
Granite building, dating from 1582, rebuilt in 1767 in neo-classical style, according to the design of the architect Eugénio dos Santos, by initiative of João de Almada e Melo and financed by Companhia Geral da Agrigultura das Vinhas do Alto Douro. It presents a geometric sequence of windows (103 on the whole). This polygonal-shaped building has 4 façades, two of which are related to its main functions: the main façade, on Rua de São Bento, allows you to enter the Court sector. The other façade, opened to the Cordoaria Garden, was formerly constructed for the direct passage of prisoners and is currently the building's main entrance. Camilo Castelo Branco, who was one of Portugal's most famous writers and was charged with adultery as well as the famous Zé do Telhado who was charged with theft were kept here. Between 1999 and 2002 the building was restored under the direction of Eduardo Souto de Moura and Humberto Vieira, to become the current Portuguese Centre for Photography, including an exhibition centre. Guided visits to the building are available. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
The church began to be built in 1755, following the initiative of bishop D. Frei António de Sousa, and was finished in 1769. It was badly damaged during the Porto Siege and also by a fire in 1874 that destructed its main altar. Special mention goes to the wood carving of the altars, the pulpits and the valance of the main arch, designed and produced by the most remarkable artists of rococo in Porto - Francisco Pereira Campanhã and José Teixeira Guimarães. The sculpture of the Virgin on the main altar was made by the sculptor Soares dos Reis, except for its face that was ordered to a local saint-maker. From the square next to this church, you can enjoy an interesting view of the Cathedral and the Bishop's Palace, over the houses of the parish of Vitória, as well as over the River Douro, the D. Luis I Bridge and the Gaia riverside.
Ferreira Borges marketThis market was built in 1885, by order of the City Council, in order to replace the old Mercado da Ribeira (Ribeira Market). It operated as a market for a very short period of time, having been used for various purposes. It represtents an important example of iron architecture in Porto, which was later renovated to become an entertainment venue, where Hard Club is now located. Stock Exchange PalaceA National Monument, the Palácio da Bolsa (Stock Exchange Palace) is the property and headquarters of the Commercial Association of Porto. It was designed by Joaquim da Costa Lima in a neoclassical style in 1842. Situated in the historical centre, it is one of the most visited monuments with the famous Arabian Room being its major highlight. A Cultural and Conference Centre, the Stock Exchange Palace is a venue with unique conditions for hosting events and excellent initiatives. Included in the Urban Wine Route. Accessible for people with reduced mobility through a side entrance.
The city's most important Gothic temple, whose construction began in the fourteenth century. It is one of the most important works of the Baroque, by its gilded interior from the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. It was the exuberance of its gild carved wood work that led Count Raczinsky to describe it as the 'Church of Gold'. And, overwhelmed, he adds: 'The gild of this church is so beautiful and rich that goes far beyond everything I have seen in Portugal and in the whole world'. It is worth of notice the Tree of Jesse, as well as the catacombs. It is a National Monument since 1910 and World Cultural Heritage by UNESCO since 1996. Historical square of RibeiraCited already in 1389 as being of medieval origin, this square is thought to be one of the oldest in the city. A busy commercial centre, with tents serving as shops and a fish market, it came to the attention of João de Almada e Melo who set out to completely remodel the square in the 18th Century. The works carried out at this time by the Public Works Board, under the influence of John Whitehead, were financed by revenue from wine. Of his original plans, only the sides to the north, with its monumental Praça da Ribeira fountain, and the west were ever completed. The wall to the south was knocked down in 1821 and the medieval buildings along the east side survive to this day. Archaeological work in the 1980s led to the discovery of a 17th Century fountain. Reconstructed in its original location, it was crowned with a sculpture by José Rodrigues known popularly as the 'Cube of the Ribeira'. On the 24th of June 2000, a statute of St. John the Baptist by João Cutileiro was unveiled in a niche in the Praça da Ribeira fountain. A must see, with lots of exciting nightlife on offer as well. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
Cited already in 1389 as being of medieval origin, this square is thought to be one of the oldest in the city. A busy commercial centre, with tents serving as shops and a fish market, it came to the attention of João de Almada e Melo who set out to completely remodel the square in the 18th Century. The works carried out at this time by the Public Works Board, under the influence of John Whitehead, were financed by revenue from wine. Of his original plans, only the sides to the north, with its monumental Praça da Ribeira fountain, and the west were ever completed. The wall to the south was knocked down in 1821 and the medieval buildings along the east side survive to this day. Archaeological work in the 1980s led to the discovery of a 17th Century fountain. Reconstructed in its original location, it was crowned with a sculpture by José Rodrigues known popularly as the 'Cube of the Ribeira'. On the 24th of June 2000, a statute of St. John the Baptist by João Cutileiro was unveiled in a niche in the Praça da Ribeira fountain. A must see, with lots of exciting nightlife on offer as well. Included in the Urban Wine Route.
D.Luís I bridgePlanned by the engineer Teófilo Seyrig, a disciple of Eiffel, it was inaugurated in 1886 and it is composed by two overlapping iron decks. The bridge has 395 metres long and 8 metres wide, and its arch is still considered to be the world's biggest one in forged iron. Nowadays the upper deck is used by the Metro of Porto, connecting the area of Porto's Cathedral to the Garden of Morro and to the Avenida da República in Vila Nova de Gaia. D.Luís I bridge
World Cultural Heritage, it started being built in 1538, and was concluded only around 1670. At first it was created in order to accommodate the Augustinian Friars of the Monastery of Grijó. Later, during the Civil War of 1832-1834, the liberal army settled in the monastery. As a result of the war and of the constant attacks it suffered, it was in a terrible state of disrepair and neglect, until in 1834 with the creation of the Royal Brotherhood of Lady of the Pilar, and later the Group of Friends of the Monastery of Serra do Pilar, in 1925, the whole building was recovered. The church, of circular plan, has the dome surrounded by a balcony; the cloister is also circular, with 36 Ionic columns, the only example in Portugal. From its grand terrace one can see the whole riverside area of Porto and Gaia until the Arrábida Bridge, and the historic center, with emphasis on the Cathedral and D. Luís I bridge. In the opposite direction one can see that the zone of Fontainhas and the São João bridge.
Muralha FernandinaThe D. Fernando wall was built to substitute the old late-medieval wall that, by the 15th Century, had become too small for the growing city. It was rebuilt by D. Fernando, after whom it was named, between 1368 and 1437 with money from the wine transfer tax and it was about 3000 paces long and 30 feet high. It was topped off by battlements and strengthened by bastions and towers. Two stretches still exist today. The first, called the Trecho dos Guindais, can be found next to Rua Arnaldo Gama and the other, the Trecho do Caminho Novo, is next to the Escadas do Caminho Novo (Caminho Novo Steps). This visiting point is included in the Urban Wine Route.
Construction dating from the twelfth/thirteenth century, in Romanesque style, that has been enlarged and renewed over the years up to its final setting, in the twentieth century, resulting in an idealized reconstitution of the medieval cathedral. Special mention goes to: the Gothic São João Evangelista Chapel and the cloister, from the fourteenth century; the enlargement of the main chapel, the Santíssimo Sacramento Chapel and its silver altar, from the eighteenth century (mannerist); the eighteenth century Baroque frescos in the main chapel and the sacristy, by Nicolau Nasoni, and the tiles in the cloister, by Vital Rifarto; the sculpture in the Baptism Chapel, by Teixeira Lopes (father) from the nineteenth century.
The Terreiro da Sé (square), framed by the buildings of the Cathedral, the Chapter House, the Bishop's Palace and the former City Hall (Casa da Câmara), is the result of the recovery works that took place in 1940, through which several medieval quarters were demolished to give way to an open square, where a stone monument representing local government (pelourinho) was placed in 1945, by the Porto City Council. From this spot one can admire the complete Barredo area, the river Douro and Vila Nova de Gaia. This tower, also named 'Torre da Cidade' (Tower of the City), was discovered during the demolition work of the 1940s, on the street where the Terreiro da Sé was built. It was then completely rebuilt, being relocated from the original site some 15 meters. This quadrangular building is divided into two storeys, with a high arched door to the south and a gothic stone balcony, to the north. Until 1960, it was the Office of the History of the City, which is why this building was also known as Tower of the City. After April 25 1974, the Tower was publically occupied, who installed in it the Social and Cultural Centre of Sé. Here operates the Official Tourism Office of Sé in the following schedule: nov-abr daily 09:00-19:00; mai-oct daily 09:00-20:00. http://www.visitporto.travel/Visitar/Paginas/Descobrir/DetalhesPOI.aspx?POI=1863&AreaType=1&Area=3
The S. Bento Railway Station was built at the beginning of the twentieth century on the exact location of the former Convent of S. Bento de Avé-Maria. The glass and iron structure was designed by the architect Marques da Silva. The vestibule is adorned with twenty thousand tiles painted by Jorge Colaço that illustrate the transport evolution and events of Portuguese history and life.
Construction began in 1920, but only in 1957 was it considered complete, after several interruptions and changes to the original project. The building consists of six floors, a basement and two courtyards. The top of the 70m high, central tower, with its chiming clock, can be reached by climbing its 180 steps. Consisting primarily of marble and granite, the interior of the building has some nobly furnished rooms, in which the most solemn ceremonies and the usual Municipal Assemblies and Executive meetings are held. Included in the Urban Wine Route, the Porto Municipality used from the outset the income from rates and taxes on wine to improve the city's defences, water supply, road connections to the outside and urban reforms.
Built throughout the entire 19th century following the project of the architect Carlos Amarante Cruz. A large panel by the painter José de Brito, representing the Baptism of Christ, stands out in the main alter
In 1754 the founder of the Brotherhood of Nossa Senhora da Lapa preached around Porto, trying to build a chapel to honour Nossa Senhora da Lapa. In 1755 the money collected was used to build the Chapel of Nossa Senhora da Lapa das Confissões. Later on, Brotherhood ok Lapa decided to build a new church. The construction took over 100 years. From 1835 the Church hosts D. Pedro IV's heart kept in a monument set in the main chapel. In 1995 the Church purchased the pipe organ, a fundamental piece for the church concerts, classified as Public Interest Estate since 2013.
Cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão Origem: Wikipédia, a enciclopédia livre. Saltar para a navegaçãoSaltar para a pesquisa Coordenadas: 41° 9' 55.96" N 8° 37' 29.23" O O cruzeiro visto de norte. O cruzeiro visto de sul. O Cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão é um monumento de arquitectura religiosa no Porto, Portugal. Está situado numa zona urbana, na Praça do Exército Libertador, na confluência da Rua de Oliveira Monteiro com a Rua de 9 de Julho, no lugar do Carvalhido, freguesia de Cedofeita, concelho do Porto. Caracterização O cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão é um Imóvel de Interesse Municipal desde 1993 e compõe-se de quatro peças fundamentais, estruturadas monoliticamente na vertical: uma base rectangular de quatro faces, numa das quais uma legenda inserida em medalhão vegetalista de volutas e contravolutas, uma coluna cilíndrica, um capitel vegetalista, decorado com folhas de acanto, e o coroamento, com uma representação de Cristo na Cruz. História A sua construção data de 1738, em plena época barroca, e inclui a seguinte legenda: "Louvado seja os tempos de valores virtude lisura ozias. MDCCXXXVIII". Com esta legenda, pintada numa das faces do suporte, o cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão celebra os viajantes que passam pelo caminho que conduzia para Norte, nomeadamente a Santiago de Compostela. No século XIX o cruzeiro foi rodeado e protegido por uma estrutura quadrangular, com faces azulejadas e portão de acesso ao recinto. Plausivelmente, tal terá acontecido já numa fase de plena renovação urbana da envolvência, quando os eixos viários que confluem para a Praça do Exército Libertador foram definitivamente rasgados e se iniciou a construção em altura que se verifica nas imediações. O cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão lá permaneceu, testemunho da antiga estrutura viária da zona, mas também de um tipo muito particular de religiosidade de caminhos, datado de época barroca. Na sua aparente ingenuidade, simboliza um dos valores religiosos mais importantes da vivência religiosa exterior, de Setecentos. Em 2000, foi restaurado pela Câmara Municipal do Porto, para o que se colocou uma placa comemorativa na base que sustenta a estrutura. Desde há longa data, no terceiro fim-de-semana de Julho, realizam-se aqui os tradicionais festejos em honra do senhor do Padrão e dos Aflitos.
A Praça do Exército Libertador — popularmente conhecida por Largo do Carvalhido — fica no lugar do mesmo nome, freguesia de Cedofeita, na cidade do Porto, Portugal. Índice 1 Origem do nome 2 História 3 Pontos de interesse 4 Acessos 5 Referências 6 Ligações externas Origem do nome A praça, que mais se assemelha a uma rua com dois pequenos largos nos extremos, deve a sua atual designação oficial a uma deliberação de 1835 da Câmara Municipal do Porto, como forma de homenagear as hostes de D. Pedro durante as Guerras Liberais. Na verdade, foi neste local que pernoitaram as tropas liberais (de 8 para 9 de julho de 1832), antes de tomarem a cidade do Porto, sendo pouco depois submetidas ao longo Cerco do Porto.[1] História O "Largo do Carvalhido" fazia parte da antiga estrada para Vila do Conde e para a Galiza, por aqui passando o Caminho Português de Santiago. É, ainda hoje, uma artéria muito comercial e com grande movimento. No extremo sul da praça destaca-se o Cruzeiro do Senhor do Padrão, construído em 1738, saudando os viajantes que seguiam pelo caminho para Norte, nomeadamente para Santiago de Compostela. No extremo norte, fica a capela do Carvalhido, pela primeira vez mencionada em registo paroquial de Santo Ildefonso de 1760. Este pequeno templo serviu de primeira igreja paroquial aquando da criação da Paróquia do Coração de Jesus do Carvalhido, em 1940, até ser substituída pela nova igreja, projeto do arquiteto Luís Cunha, construída nas proximidades em 1969. Desde há longa data, no terceiro fim-de-semana de julho, realizam-se aqui os tradicionais festejos em honra do senhor do Padrão e dos Aflitos.
Intimate history with Casa da Prelada. It was a street that started from Carvalhido square and ended at Casa da Prelada.

Comments

    You can or this trail