Abram Gurewicz’s Health Resort is a flagship in Otwock and one of the biggest wooden buildings of this kind in Poland, with significant historical, architectural and artistic elements of great value. It was erected on a 3 hectare plot. Built in stages, between 1906 and 1921, it was initially known as Villa Gurewiczanka – a small residence of the Gurewicz family. Later on, it was converted into a beautiful Spa called Gurewicz’s Guest-house which, in the late1930s was known as Gurewicz Healing Centre.
In the final stage the structure was given a polygonal shape, consisting of seven adjacent wings. To the east and south, the building was surrounded by rest rooms, glazed verandas, and three open terraces.
The perfectly equipped Spa had a sewage system, running water, electricity and telephones. There was also an elegant lounge for patients, a reading room, a parlour, a dining room, and a concert hall with a piano. These rooms were further embellished by a famous graphic artist Tom Joseph, who painted decorations with dominating gold, blue, and red colours. The Spa was surrounded by a professionally arranged park with a variety of exotic plants. The centre didn’t have the status of a sanatorium or hospital. It accepted only convalescents and people seeking peace.
During the war, the building was taken over by the Nazis, then in July 1944 it became the Training Centre of the Ministry of Education. In 1948, the ancestors of Roman Gurewicz, his brother Ignatius and their aunt Ida Grynszpan (née Gurewicz) sold the property to the Municipal Government of Warsaw which, in the same year, resold it to the Ministry of Education.
On 3 June 1997 it was sold to the Polish Alzheimer Foundation, which established the Alzheimer Centre there, still named as Gurewicz Guesthouse.
The building was enlisted into the National Monuments Register on 31 January 1979 (entry no. 937).