Viewed 331 times, downloaded 21 times
near San Giovanni A Piro, Campania (Italia)
This route is for going on foot from San Giovanni a Piro or Scario along the coast, at least as close to the coast as possible. It is intended for trekking experts only and for the entire one way walk at least 5 hours should be planned!
It can be divided in five sections:
1. From Ciolandrea to Spiaggia Marcellino signposted as E12 easy to find and of moderate difficulty. The beach is perfect for bathing and snorkeling with very clear water.
IMPORTANT: If you don't like adventure it's the point for going back the same very beautiful way or organize a boat for bringing you back.
A few metres before reaching the valley ground the next section separates clearly visible to the right hand side.
2. from Spiaggia Marcellino through the Marcellino canyon towards SR562; it has recently been cleared from vegetation but may get blocked again or difficult to find; except for this its is neither difficult nor dangerous in any way; After crossing the normally dry riverbed the barely visible path ascends steeply through grass, later entering a forest. When leaving the forest there is a garden on the right side and the path to continue this route to the left side. Straight on a track leads to the road that connects Lentiscosa and San Giovanni a Piro at a place called Pietra Tagliata.
3. to the top of mount La Vaccuta; the path is quite visible at fist and later vanishing but orientation is very easy; from the top you can overlook the canyon and the area to be passed later
4. from La Vaccuta towards the track which connects Marina di Camerota and Infreschi without path, due to rugged landscape this is the most difficult part; orientation is easy because there is only low vegetation an you just have to descend all the time until you hit the dirt road
5. along the track to Infreschi with more great coastline panorama
I only walked sections 1 to 4 on October 23 and 24, 2019, section 5 on Oct. 22, 2020. From Infreschi you can continue to Marina di Camerota along the most famous hiking trail in the area or organise a boat ride.
The gpx is extracted from openstreetmap which I edited based on satellite images and my own GPS recordings. Some information given by wikiloc about this trail are inserted automatically and are wrong:
- This tour has not been recorded in 2010
- The duration is not 1:07 hours. See the comment below for minimal duration.