Viewed 4805 times, downloaded 21 times
near Michigan Bluff, California (United States)
Deadwood was founded in 1852 when gold was found in the area.It had 500 people living there in its heyday. Deadwood was also for a time the home of gun maker Sam Colt.Deadwood was in a decline by 1855,although mining with moderate returns was carried on in the vicinity for many years. Submitted by: Chris Geigle for http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/deadwoodplacer.html
All that remains are the well preserved cemetery and a few old wells. California Geology has a wonderful first-person story on life in Deadwood during the Gold Rush.
1) Take Foresthill road to Deadwood Road.
2) Deadwood cemetery to Western States.
3) Western states to saddle access trail (left turn).
4) Up to the saddle is well marked.
5) At the saddle proceed down in a easterly direction to the claim.
6) From the claim go south to the River.
Be sure to watch the video for more history and in depth information on this magnificent location including candle blazes, bear scars and miner cairns.