Search for:

Board index  »  Questions, help, problems... all about Wikiloc  »  Search by group of locations

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2016, 23:55 Reply with quote Report this post
I've created a group of locations thinking it would be a neat idea for a region. After having read some of the material provided by Wikiloc.
However now I am starting to have my doubts if this is really good thing. When you group several trails and waypoints together. The trail looses the waypoints to the grouping. Therefore you end up with an empty trail. Other users can't search for or see a grouping since the only options for searching are for Trail and Users. So what is the point of grouping?
Yes I've been able to get around the issue somewhat but only because I happen to know some HTML and therefore I created links to the group within the description of each trail within that particular group. However I can't search for and find groups from other users for regions to which I might be traveling to. The World Map search feature also only shows trails and not groupings of locations.

Trails from Felipe Montanhista
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 04:47 Reply with quote Report this post
Hello, Felipe Montanhista.
Felipe Montanhista wrote:
...I created links to the group within the description of each trail within that particular group.

I agree with you, so I do not like to group routes: instead, I create user catalogues (for example, see http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=6362645).

But Wikiloc does create links between each of the routes and the group to which they belong: it is located on the top, above the title and type of activity of the route, with the tag Part of.

Regards.

Trails from Nofahuer
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 12:13 Reply with quote Report this post
Dear Nofahuer,
thank you for your post. It helps to know that I am not the only one that feels this way.

I took a look at your "user catalogues"(catálogo de rutas) as you suggested. I am not exactly sure how you created this? Could you tell me a bit more about how you created this user catalogue. Also when I click on the links within this catalogue that you have listed they don't seem to relate back to the "catálogo de rutas" with the "Part of". I came up with a similar solution; making use of HTML tags I created lists of links to the trails that make up the "group of locations".

Nofahuer you are right "Wikiloc does create links between each of the routes and the group to which they belong: it is located on the top, above the title and type of activity of the route, with the tag Part of." I knew about this feature however although it is a nice feature it does not solve the original problem which I posted, which is; users can't actively search for groups from other users, as they do to trail and users. At most they can by accident bump into trails that belong to a group of locations such as yours and mine:
and then from within that trail click on the link beside "Part of".

Once again thank you for your post and happy trails.

I hope that Wikiloc can come up with a search feature for groups & a way in which we can group trails and not loose their way points to the group of locations.

Trails from Felipe Montanhista
PostPosted: 27 Apr 2016, 20:52 Reply with quote Report this post
Hello, Felipe Montanhista.
Felipe Montanhista wrote:
Could you tell me a bit more about how you created this user catalogue.

In order to create an user catalog I follow the next steps:
  1. I choose the geographical area that I am going to catalogue.
  2. I create a dummy route, drawing it on the map, that goes through the main waypoints of such a geographical area: these waypoints are also created.
  3. As I walk routes within that geographical area, I include them in the user catalogue:
    • Adding to the user catalogue description a link to the walked route.
    • Updating the user catalogue waypoints with photographs.
Regards.

Trails from Nofahuer