Time  4 hours 54 minutes

Coordinates 3397

Uploaded August 30, 2015

Recorded August 2015

-
-
305 f
-13 f
0
6.6
13
26.51 mi

Viewed 672 times, downloaded 9 times

near Sillery, Quebec (Canada)

|
Show original
Sainte-Foy, Quebec
Sainte-Foy is an old Quebec city, located in the Capitale-Nationale region, which was merged on January 1, 2002 in Quebec City, where it now forms part of the district of Sainte-Foy-Sillery-Cap-Rouge.

History
French diet
The existence of Sainte-Foy begins well before the municipal organization. As early as 1638, the Jesuits founded the Notre-Dame-de-Foy mission, which serves settlers living in the western part of the Quebec City hill. The seigniory of Sillery is constituted in 1651, and roughly includes the future territories of Sillery and Sainte-Foy. In 1667, about twenty families settled in the third row of the seigniory of Sillery, called Côte Saint-Michel, crossed by the current Sainte-Foy road3. That same year, Jesuit Father Pierre Chaumonot built a wooden chapel, named Notre-Dame-de-Foy, at the site today occupied by the intersection of Chemin des Quatre-Bourgeois and Autoroute Robert- Bourassa4.
In 1678, a first parish, called Notre-Dame-de-Foy, was erected by Bishop Laval. It includes "Sainte-Foy, Goderville (Gaudarville), Saint-Michel, the road Saint-Ignace and Lorette" 4. This enumeration indicates that the name of Sainte-Foy was already in use to designate a part of the seigniory. This parish did not have a resident parish priest, however, and in 1698, its vast territory prompted Bishop de Saint-Vallier, Bishop of Quebec, to split it in two to create a parish in Lorette and another in Sainte-Foy. term of The Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary5. However it is more commonly called Notre-Dame-de-Foy, the name of the chapel that serves. This time, a priest, Charles Amador Martin, is named4. In 1719, a first stone church was built, on land owned by Jacques Pinguet de Vaucour, at the current site of the Park of the Visitation.
The boundaries of the parish are for the first time legally defined by the judgment of the Council of the King of March 3, 1722, as for all the parishes of New France.
War of the Conquest change the code]
Main article: Battle of Sainte-Foy.
On April 28, 1760, the knight François Gaston de Lévis defeated the British of General James Murray in Sainte-Foy and laid siege to Quebec. This victory will have no tomorrow, however, and Murray keeps Quebec.

British diet
After the conquest some properties were acquired by British, including Governor Murray6. In 1845, a law on the municipal organization in Lower Canada established a first municipal corporation for Sainte-Foy, but this law was repealed in 1847. It was not until 1855, with the adoption of a new law municipal, that the parish municipality of Sainte-Foy is established again. Its boundaries will be reduced twice, during the creation of the parish municipality of Saint-Colomb de Sillery in 1856, and the parish municipality of Saint-Félix du Cap-Rouge in 18722. During the nineteenth century, Notables and businessmen acquire estates, build villas and operate farms on the territory of Sainte-Foy. Belmont House, belonging to the Caldwell family, part of which became the Notre-Dame-de-Belmont cemetery6, and the four villas along the road called Chemin des Quatre-Bourgeois: Mapple Cottage (1856), Champlain Villa (1849), Hazel Grove Cottage (1850) and New Prospect (1850) 8.

Modern era
In 1917, the Quebec Bridge connects Sainte-Foy to the south shore of the St. Lawrence River. The parish retains a rural character until the 1940s, while the expansion of the city of Quebec transforms the landscape. The municipality became the city of Sainte-Foy in 1949. Many institutions, civil and religious, settled on the territory of Sainte-Foy during the twentieth. These include the Hospital for TB (future Laval Hospital) in 1918, the Institute Saint-Jean-Bosco in 1923, the Provincial House of the Brothers of the Christian Schools (Pavilion Montcalm) in 1925, the Women's Prison (Gomin House) in 1931 , the provincial house of the Brothers of Saint Vincent de Paul in 1945, and especially the campus of Laval University which began in 1949, shared between the territories of Sainte-Foy and Sillery3.
The opening of boulevard Laurier which leads from downtown Quebec to the bridges allows the accelerated development of trade and hotel establishments.
Administration [edit | change the code]
List of successive mayors
Period Identity Label Quality
1858 1860 Louis Juneau of Monvielle9
1872 1880 François Arteau10
1881 1887 Joseph-Elzéar Bédard11
1915 1926 Honoré Mainguy3
1941 1957 Émile Boiteau12
1966 1973 Roland Beaudin13
1973 1981 Bernardin Morin14
1985 2001 Andrée P. Boucher

Missing data are to be completed.
List of priests of Sainte-Foy change the code]
This section is empty, insufficiently detailed or incomplete. Your help is welcome !
• 1698-1711: Charles-Amador Martin
• 1715-1756: Pierre-Gabriel The Prévost15
• 1756-1774: François Borel16
• 1786-1792: François Borel
Demography
Demographic evolution
1844 1871 1881 1891 1901 1911 1921 1931 1941 1951
1,273 1,625 1,085 1,034 1,066 1,811 1,622 2,220 2,963
5,976
Demographic change, continuation (1)
1956 1961 1966 1971 1976 1981 1986 1991 1996 2001
19 073 38 521 63 029 68 385 71 237 68 889 69 615 71 133 72 330 72 547
(Sources: For 1844, Lebel 2008, for the year 1844, for other years, Statistics Canada, Table "The city of Quebec and its environs, 1876 to 2008-135 years of population change")
(See https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sainte-Foy_(Québec))

Old Quebec
Old Quebec is the historic heart of Quebec City. This is where the founder Samuel de Champlain built the Habitation in 1608.Today, it is very strong tourist vocation and is recognized throughout the planet. It is located near downtown Quebec City. The geography of the place is decisive: Cap Diamant dominates the St. Lawrence River at the edge of which is a strip of low land1. At the top of the cape stands the "Haute-Ville" while at the foot of it is "Basse-Ville" 2. Everything is brought together by the concept of the "heritage site of Old Quebec".

High City
Chosen by Champlain in 1620 to set up Fort Saint-Louis, the Haute-Ville took on a military and administrative character from the beginning of the colony: the strategic heights of Cap Diamant determined its vocation. The Upper Town is inhabited by soldiers, civil servants and clergy, while the Lower Town is populated by tradesmen and craftsmen.
The strong military presence in this neighborhood has long limited its expansion. Also, at the end of the nineteenth century. many wanted to demolish the fortifications, judging them useless and hindering even urban development. Governor Dufferin will convince officials to preserve the character of the walled city, while adapting the space to the needs of a modern city and embellishing it3.
After having suffered a certain degradation during the 1950s, the neighborhood has been experiencing a new impetus since the 1970s.
Ramparts, citadel, houses of another century, squares and historic places, rich is the heritage of Old Quebec-Haute-Ville. The legacy of previous generations and the beauty of the place make it a unique place.
Most buildings in the neighborhood date back to the nineteenth century. The construction of some dates back even to the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. The place has several commercial streets, including Saint-Jean, Sainte-Anne and De Buade Streets. Public administration and institutions still occupy a prominent place in the heart of the city. Buildings bear witness to this: the Town Hall, the Seminary, the Ursuline Convent, the Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Augustinian Monastery, the Hôtel-Dieu. As Old Quebec is one of the most sought-after tourist destinations, there are also several accommodations, including the famous Château Frontenac.
Many well-developed parks also crisscross the territory. Among them, the parks Esplanade, Artillery, Governors, Montmorency Park and the gardens of the Hotel-de-Ville. Walkers and hikers can also enjoy Place D'Youville and the Dufferin Terrace, which offers a grand view of the St. Lawrence River.

• Old Quebec
• Quebec City Hall and Price Building on the right
• Parade


Colonial houses near the citadel, with the Château Frontenac in the background.

Lowertown
Lower Town is a historic center at the foot of Cap Diamant. As early as 1608, Samuel de Champlain had a house built there, the remains of which have recently been found at Place Royale. This square has been restored with the aim of restoring the French spirit of its origins. At this point stands the Church of Our Lady of Victories whose construction began in 1687.
Museums, theaters, theaters and exhibition venues include the Musée de la civilization, the Musée Naval de Québec, the Dalhousie Barracks and the Petit Champlain Theater.
At the Port of Quebec, we recognize the Louise Basin, the Brown Basin, the Pointe à Carcy, the Palais Station and the Old Port Market.
Other notable places: the Place de Paris, Ulric-Joseph-Tessier Park, Saint-Pierre Street, Saint-Paul Street, Sault-au-Matelot Street and Saint-Vallier Street East, former Saint-Pierre Street. Charles, first paved street in Quebec.
From Petit-Champlain street, very narrow, at the foot of Cap Diamant, a funicular with a view can easily go up over Cap Diamant. Another option for walkers: the Côte de la Montagne.

• Quebec, Lower Town, 1903
• Old Quebec on the St. Lawrence River
• Cape Blanc and Cape Diamond


View of the Port of Quebec and Louise Basin.

Heritage site
The heritage site of Old Quebec is part of the territory of Quebec City recognized as a cultural heritage of Quebec and part of World Heritage4. Administratively, it is part of the district La Cité-Limoilou

History
The borough was created by the National Assembly of Quebec on July 10, 1963 by an amendment to the Historic Monuments Act. The protected perimeter has been delimited in two stages. The first route included the fortified city and its surroundings by the river. A second definitive route, set on May 6, 1964, added surrounding spaces5. It covers an area of ​​1.4 km2.
On December 3, 1985, UNESCO declared the district a World Heritage Site.

Preparation
The historic district was created following public debates, between 1945 and 1956, on the preservation of Old Quebec and on the restoration of Place Royale.
The February 1956 Act grants the Historic Monuments Commission the power to acquire or expropriate "any historic building of a national character".
At this time, Gérard Morisset and L'Action catholique, demand that the whole of Old Quebec be declared a historic monument.

Description
Quebec is a site where a capital is born. It consists of two sets:
• a port city on the banks of the St. Lawrence River and the Saint-Charles River,
• an institutional city on the heights of Cap aux Diamants, stronghold.

• View from Laval University (Quebec Seminary), 1895
• The daredevil staircase around 1870, by Louis-Prudent Vallée
• Quebec: Lord Dufferin's plans for the preservation of his historic monuments. Saint John Gate.

1871


Improvement and beautification of Québec proposed by Lord Dufferin, 1875
In the book Empreinte & Mémoire, the Commission des biens culturels du Québec presents the year 1871 as the beginning of the restoration movement of the borough.
In 1871, it was the departure of the British troops and the arrival, the following year, of Frederick Blackwood Temple, Lord Dufferin, Governor General of Canada. He will share with the elite the concern to preserve the historic character of Quebec.
Dufferin will initiate major redevelopment projects in the city and the historic district.

Buildings and classified houses
Several buildings and old houses are classified as historic monuments, including all the buildings of the Séminaire de Québec and its neighbor Notre-Dame Cathedral, the Capitole Theater on the Place d'Youville, the Montcalm House on the Rue des Remparts, and in Basse -City, the Estèbe house contiguous to the Museum of Civilization and the church Notre-Dame-des-Victoires on the Place Royale.
Main article: Monuments of the Historic District of Old Quebec.

Bibliography
• Commission des biens culturels du Québec, The ways of memory, Monuments and historic sites of Quebec, Publications of Quebec, Quebec, 1990, Volume I, p. 77-108. BAnQ
• Commission des biens culturels du Québec, Empreintes & Mémoire, the historic district of Old Quebec, Les Publications du Québec, Quebec, 2007, 238 p. BAnQ


Charlesbourg
Charlesbourg is one of the six1 boroughs of Quebec City. It is located north of the borough of La Cité-Limoilou, west of the borough of Beauport and east of the boroughs Les Rivières and La Haute-Saint-Charles.

History
The origins of Charlesbourg lie in the grant to the Jesuits of the seigniory of Notre-Dame-des-Anges in 1626. This seigneury extends north from the Saint-Charles River2, which means that its southern part constitutes the current district Limoilou while the rest is the current Charlesbourg. It was in 1665 that the new intendant Jean Talon undertook to establish three villages on the plateaux located further north. This initiative is the cause of some friction with the Jesuits, lords of the place. The first of these villages consists of a square of 25 square acres, in the center of which a square of five acres (the square line) is reserved for the church, the presbytery and the cemetery. The settlers' houses are located on the edge of the square-line, and their trapezoidal-shaped lands extend starward outwards. A second village, limited by lack of space to a "semi-circle", is established just south of Petite-Auvergne, and the third is established in 1667 in Bourg-Royal, further north-east. This particular arrangement is still visible from the air and is the hallmark of Charlesbourg.
Charlesbourg is primarily an agricultural territory, in addition to becoming a resort destination for the inhabitants of Quebec in the first half of the twentieth century. It urbanized in the second half of the 1900s to become a suburb of Quebec. In 1976, the municipalities of Charlesbourg-Est, Notre-Dame-des-Laurentides, Orsainville and the city of Charlesbourg were merged to become the city of Charlesbourg. Charlesbourg was in turn merged with other municipalities in Quebec City in 2002 to form a new major city. Charlesbourg then becomes one of the arrondissements3.


Territory
The territory of the borough is divided into six districts, however only two of these have an official name, Notre-Dame-des-Laurentides and Jesuits4. This territory is also divided into five electoral districts for the municipal council, but these districts and districts do not correspond, contrary to what exists in the borough of Beauport, for example.
The other four neighborhoods have a numeric identifier and will receive an official name when a neighborhood council is formed and has adopted a name.
neighborhoods
• Notre-Dame-des-Laurentides
• Jesuits
• Orsainville, officially "Quartier 4-2"
Corresponds to the ancient city of Orsainville.
• Bourg-Royal, officially "Quartier 4-3"
Corresponds to the former municipality of Charlesbourg-Est.
• Trait-Carré, officially "Quartier 4-5"
Includes that portion of the borough west of Henri-Bourassa Boulevard, between the Cheminots Corridor to the south and Jean-Talon Boulevard to the north. There is in particular the historic district of Charlesbourg - the trait-square - with the church of Saint-Charles-Borromée, listed as a historic monument in 1959, as well as the Magella-Paradis house and the Jesuit mill.
• Saint-Rodrigue, officially "Quartier 4-6"
Corresponds to the old parish Saint-Rodrigue. It is delimited at N / NW by the Corridor des Cheminots, a bicycle path partly located on an old railway line. It is a residential area and services. La Fourmilière Elementary School dates from the 1940s, the Catholic Church dates back to 1962. Place of the "Les Galeries Charlesbourg" shopping center and the Loblaws supermarket built on the site of an important lumberyard. Offices of the Quebec Ministry of Natural Resources.

Parks
• Parc des Montagne-des-Roches (Jean-Talon Blvd. East, rue de la Montagne-des-Roches)
• Parc des Moulins (former zoo, 8191, avenue du Zoo)
• Parc des Verveines (avenue des Platanes)
Domaine Notre-Dame-des-Bois (Lake Boulevard, rue de Genève)
(Cf. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlesbourg)
Intersection

Km 0 JCT Myrand vs René-Lévesque

Km 0 JCT Myrand vs René-Lévesque
Intersection

Km .5 JCT René-Lévesque vs Maguire

Km .5 JCT René-Lévesque vs Maguire
panorama

Km 1.1 Maguire

Km 1.1 Maguire
Intersection

Km 1.5 JCT Chemin St-Louis

Km 1.5 JCT Chemin St-Louis
panorama

Km 1.6 Côte de Sillery

Km 1.6 Côte de Sillery
panorama

Km 2.1 Église St-Michel

Km 2.1 Église St-Michel
panorama

Km 2.3 Fleuve

Km 2.3 Fleuve
panorama

Km 2.4 Fleuve et Paysage

Km 2.4 Fleuve et Paysage
Intersection

Km 3 JCT Champlain

Km 3 JCT Champlain
panorama

Km 3.6 Corridor du Littoral

Km 3.6 Corridor du Littoral
panorama

Km 5.4 Parc

Km 5.4 Parc
panorama

Km 7.6 Parc

Km 7.6 Parc
panorama

Km 8.4 Piste

Km 8.4 Piste
panorama

Km 9.1 Vieux-Québec

Km 9.1 Vieux-Québec
panorama

Km 9.3 Traversier

Km 9.3 Traversier
panorama

Km 9.8 Piste

Km 9.8 Piste
panorama

Km 10.6 Port

Km 10.6 Port
panorama

Km 10.9 Marché public

Km 10.9 Marché public
panorama

Km 11.1 Informations

Km 11.1 Informations
panorama

Km 11.9 Pont Samson

Km 11.9 Pont Samson
panorama

Km 12.4 Piste

Km 12.4 Piste
panorama

Km 12.7 Piste

Km 12.7 Piste
Intersection

Km 13.1 Informations

Km 13.1 Informations
panorama

Km 13.2 Informations

Km 13.2 Informations
panorama

Km 13.3 Informations

Km 13.3 Informations
panorama

Km 14.1 Piste Henri-Bourassa

Km 14.1 Piste Henri-Bourassa
panorama

Km 15.2 Piste

Km 15.2 Piste
Intersection

Km 16.2 JCT Autoroute Félix-Leclerc

Km 16.2 JCT Autoroute Félix-Leclerc
panorama

Km 17.5 Charlebourg

Km 17.5 Charlebourg
panorama

Km 17.8 Piste

Km 17.8 Piste
Intersection

Km 19.1 JCT Autoroute 73

Km 19.1 JCT Autoroute 73
Intersection

Km 20.4 JCT Louis XIV

Km 20.4 JCT Louis XIV
Intersection

Km 20.6 Pierre-Bertrand

Km 20.6 Pierre-Bertrand
Intersection

Km 21.5 JCT Côte des Érables

Km 21.5 JCT Côte des Érables
panorama

Km 22.4 Piste Chauveau

Km 22.4 Piste Chauveau
Intersection

Km 23.3 JCT Coursol

Km 23.3 JCT Coursol
Intersection

Km 23.5 JCT Robert-Bourassa

Km 23.5 JCT Robert-Bourassa
panorama

Km 24.2 Piste

Km 24.2 Piste
Intersection

Km 24.3 JCT Saint-Jacques

Km 24.3 JCT Saint-Jacques
panorama

Km 24.7 Rivière Saint-Charles

Km 24.7 Rivière Saint-Charles
Intersection

Km 25.5 JCT Chauveau vs Ormière

Km 25.5 JCT Chauveau vs Ormière
panorama

Km 25.9 Piste Chauveau

Km 25.9 Piste Chauveau
Intersection

Km 26.4 JCT Henri IV

Km 26.4 JCT Henri IV
Intersection

Km 28.1 JCT Notre-Dame

Km 28.1 JCT Notre-Dame
Intersection

Km 29.1 JCT Chauveau vs de l'Aéroport

Km 29.1 JCT Chauveau vs de l'Aéroport
Intersection

Km 29.6 JCT Chauveau vs Benjamin-Sulte

Km 29.6 JCT Chauveau vs Benjamin-Sulte
panorama

Km 30.6 Piste Turmel

Km 30.6 Piste Turmel
panorama

Km 31.6 Parc

Km 31.6 Parc
Intersection

Km 32.2 JCT Saint-Paul

Km 32.2 JCT Saint-Paul
Intersection

Km 32.5 JCT Notre-Dame

Km 32.5 JCT Notre-Dame
Intersection

Km 32.7 JCT Wilfrid-Hamel

Km 32.7 JCT Wilfrid-Hamel
Intersection

Km 33.3 JCT Duplessis

Km 33.3 JCT Duplessis
panorama

Km 33.7 Piste Duplessis

Km 33.7 Piste Duplessis
Intersection

Km 33.9 JCT Jules-Verne

Km 33.9 JCT Jules-Verne
panorama

Km 34.1 vers Base de plein air Ste-Foy

Km 34.1 vers Base de plein air Ste-Foy
panorama

Km 35.3 Base

Km 35.3 Base
Intersection

Km 35.7 JCT Blaise-Pascal

Km 35.7 JCT Blaise-Pascal
Intersection

Km 36.2 JCT Watt

Km 36.2 JCT Watt
Intersection

Km 36.6 JCT Voie ferrée

Km 36.6 JCT Voie ferrée
Intersection

Km 36.7 Versant Nord

Km36.7 Versant Nord
Intersection

Km 39.3 JCT Aut Robert-Bourassa

Km 39.3 JCT Aut Robert-Bourassa
Intersection

Km 40.2 JCT Nérée-Tremblay

Km 40.2 JCT Nérée-Tremblay
panorama

40.5 Parc Nérée-Tremblay

40.5 Parc Nérée-Tremblay
Intersection

Km 40.9 JCT Chemin Sainte-Foy

Km 40.9 JCT Chemin Sainte-Foy
panorama

Km 41 Piste Chemin Sainte-Foy

Km 41 Piste Chemin Sainte-Foy
Intersection

Km 41.8 JCT Myrand

Km 41.8 JCT Myrand
Intersection

Km 43.6 Fin JCT Myrand vs René-Lévesque

Km 43.6 Fin JCT Myrand vs René-Lévesque

Comments

    You can or this trail