Time  7 hours 15 minutes

Coordinates 4112

Uploaded August 3, 2015

Recorded August 2015

-
-
657 f
-302 f
0
11
22
43.53 mi

Viewed 1138 times, downloaded 2 times

near Rivière-du-Loup, Quebec (Canada)

|
Show original
Rivière-du-Loup is a city in Quebec, Canada, on the south shore of the St. Lawrence River, 200 km northeast of Québec City2. The city is the capital of the Regional County Municipality (RCM) of Rivière-du-Loup in Bas-Saint-Laurent 2. The new city Rivière-du-Loup was created on December 30, 1998 from the merger the city of Rivière-du-Loup and the parish municipality of Saint-Patrice-de-la-Rivière-du-Loup2. The city is an important regional center thanks to the Rivière-du-Loup courthouse, the Grand-Portage Regional Hospital Center (CHRGP), the CLSC Rivers and Tides and its student campus. Between 1845 and 1919, it was known as Fraserville.

Located at the confluence of the Loup River and the St. Lawrence River, the city occupies a crossroads between Montreal, Gaspé, New Brunswick, the State of Maine (United States), and the North Shore of the Saint River -Laurent. This location means that it is served by the railway - which is behind the city's expansion in the nineteenth century - as well as by highways 20 (Trans-Canada Highway) and 85. It is connected to the Charlevoix region, on the north shore of the St. Lawrence River by a seasonal ferry service. A small airport located in the neighboring municipality of Notre-Dame-du-Portage also serves the city.
The city is built on a series of plateaus rising from the St. Lawrence River to an altitude of nearly 200 meters. This uneven topography in steps explains the presence of several spectacular falls on the Loup river, in the center of the city. These falls were exploited as early as the nineteenth century for the production of energy, which in turn allowed the installation of many small industries. Even today, the city remains one of the main industrial centers of the Bas-Saint-Laurent region.

• Coldest record temperature: -34.0 ° C (December 3, 1980)
• Hottest record temperature: 33.5 ° C (July 19, 1991)
• Average number of days with snowfall in the year: 68
. Average number of rainy days in the year: 120

• Rivière-du-Loup airport
• Rivière-du-Loup Station (Canadian National (CN) / Via Rail Canada)
• Rivière-du-Loup / St-Siméon ferry crossing (unavailable during winter)
• Highway 20 (Jean Lesage Highway): Crosses the city from east to west.
• Highway 85 (Trans-Canada Highway): Go south-west of the city.
• Route 132: Crosses the city from east to west. The portion of the road in the city is Fraser Street and Cartier Boulevard.
• Route 291: Located east of the city. The part of the road in the city is Beaubien Street.
A major highway interchange is located south of the city, the partial interchange between 20 and 85, at kilometer 499 of the 20 and 100 of the 85. Only 20 west to Quebec is accessible via this interchange, and the 85 is only accessible by the 20 east (the industrial boulevard, the Beaubien street and the road to the Cacouna-Station to the end of the exchanger). The Trans-Canada Highway continues on Highway 85 to New Brunswick.
2 exits connect Highway 20 to Rivière-du-Loup, exits 503 and 507. The 2 exits are on Route 132, leading to the center of the city. For highway 85, exit 93 is on the industrial boulevard and 20 east to Rimouski, then exit 96 is on Fraserville Street.
The city center is located exactly 193 kilometers north-east of Quebec City bridges, from Highway 20 (Exit 312), 127 kilometers North-East of Montmagny (Exit 378 of the 20) and 66 kilometers from La Pocatière (Exit 439 of the 20). It is also located 105 kilometers southwest of Rimouski (exit 610 of the 20), and 43 kilometers from Trois-Pistoles, on route 132. The city center is also located, from Highway 85 and the road 185, 98 kilometers north-west of the New Brunswick border and 52 kilometers from Témiscouata-sur-le-lac (Cabano sector).
Rivière-du-Loup is the destination on the road signs between exits 312 and 610 (from Québec City to Rimouski) of Highway 20, and all Highway 85 and Highway 185.

With 19 974 inhabitants (2014), it is the capital of a regional county municipality (RCM) comprising 33,947 inhabitants (2008). It is also at the center of an economic basin of nearly 90,000 inhabitants covering the territory of the Kamouraska, Témiscouata and Basques MRCs. Rivière-du-Loup and Saint-Patrice-de-Rivière-du-Loup, today merged, had 17,210 inhabitants in 1991. The population has increased by 13% in 20 years in the current territory of the city.

Its economy is based on the exploitation and transformation of natural resources (forests and peatlands) and on several industries, businesses and services. Tourism and culture are also economically present.
In total, more than a thousand businesses are located in the city's territory. Of these firms, 7.5% are in the primary sector, 22.6% in the secondary sector and 69.9% in the tertiary sector. SMEs are now very important in this economy to the point that the city ranks among the best in Quebec and Canada. In 2006, it was awarded the title of "entrepreneurial city in Quebec".

Education


CFP Pavillon-de-l'Avenir
The city of Rivière-du-Loup has several schools as much at the preschool, primary and secondary levels as post-secondary. It is the Kamouraska-Rivière-du-Loup School Board which manages the educational institutions of the city. At the primary level, five schools are dispersed throughout the city: the Saint-François-Xavier school (Saint-François-Xavier district), the La Croisée I and La Croisée II schools (Saint-Ludger district) and the Roy schools. and Joly (Saint-Patrice neighborhood). At secondary level, there is the Rivière-du-Loup High School (public) and Notre-Dame College (private). There are three other institutions on the city's territory: the Pavillon-de-l'Avenir vocational training center, the Kamouraska-Rivière-du-Loup adult education center (École Thibaudeau in the Saint-François district). -Xavier) and the Cégep de Rivière-du-Loup.
The new student campus of Rivière-du-Loup was created in 20108. It includes five schools: the two high schools and the three post-secondary schools, the Pavillon-de-l'Avenir vocational training center, the Center d Kamouraska-Rivière-du-Loup Adult Education and Cégep de Rivière-du-Loup. Sports are showcased at this campus which includes a track, a football field, a softball field, a baseball field, a soccer field and six tennis courts. The Campus-and-the-City Park inaugurated on September 11, 2011 is an integral part of this campus9. At the sports level, this park offers Louperivois exercise games, paved trails for walking or rollerblading and two soccer fields. Finally, the idea of ​​the campus is mainly to change the transportation habits of teachers, non-teaching staff, students and students. Measures have been put in place to discourage solo transportation (one person per car) to public transit (buses), cycling, walking or carpooling.


Important dates

• The Rivière-de-Loup site was occupied by French sailors as early as the 1600s.
• In December 1673, the seigneury of Rivière-du-Loup was granted by the Compagnie des Indes Occidentales to its agent Charles Aubert de La Chesnaye, who added the fiefs of Kamouraska in 1680 and Témiscouata-Madawaska in 1683.
• In 1746 several pieces of road were cleared to connect more easily New France and Acadia. Road to be called later Portage Road
• In July 1763, the seigneuries and fiefs of Rivière-du-Loup were ceded to James Murray, first governor of the new British colony.
• In August 1802, the seigneury of Rivière-du-Loup was sold to Alexandre Fraser, son of Colonel Malcom Fraser. The lordship then takes the name of Fraser rather than Rivière-du-Loup
• In 1845 The lordship becoming urbanized over the years, it changed its name to Fraserville.
• In 1859, Fraserville became the eastern terminus of the Grand Trunk Railway.
• In 1889, inauguration of the railway line to New Brunswick.
• In March 1919, the city of Fraserville became the city of Rivière-du-Loup.
• In June 1926, a fire destroyed 57 buildings, including about thirty commercial buildings.
• In June 1939, visit of King George VI and Queen Elizabeth (future Queen Mother).
• In April 1947, the CJFP radio station was opened at 1400 KC
• In August 1959, inauguration of the airport.
• In March 1968, inauguration of the CHR (Regional Hospital Center).
In his Relation of 1634, Father Le Jeune mentions the Amerindian name of the river, Capititechouez. One of the first attestations of the name Rivière du Loup appears, in 1673, in the act of concession of the seigniory of the Rivière-du-Loup to Charles Aubert de La Chesnaye (1632-1702), ancestor of Philippe Aubert de Gaspé. It is up to Father Chrestien Le Clercq to unequivocally mention the name of the river in his book First Establishment ... (1691), Volume II: "& other Nations Nations who came into trading at the home of the Rivière du Loup" . This denomination has given rise to several unsatisfactory attempts at explanation. It has been attributed to the presence of many former sea lions. Some believe that Jacques Cartier himself, having found many wolves on the river shore, gave him that name. However, it was hunting seals in this region of the country, which justifies, in part, the grant of seigneury to Aubert de La Chesnaye. These animals could surely go up the estuary of the river. Others think that the river would bear this name because Samuel de Champlain would have met on its banks the nation of Wolves or Mahigans. Finally, the most plausible hypothesis is that it is the name of a ship, Le Loup, from France, whose crew was forced to winter in the estuary of the river around 1660.
The mother parish of Saint-Patrice-de-la-Riviere-du-Loup was canonically erected in 1833 and civilly in 1842. In 1850, the municipality of the village of Fraserville separated from the parish municipality and became the city of Rivière- du-Loup in 1919. In 1852, the parishes of Saint-Antonin and Notre-Dame-du-Portage will be formed within the territory of Saint-Patrice-de-la-Rivière-du-Loup. The remaining territory will keep its municipal identity until 1998, when it will be reunited in the city of Rivière-du-Loup, after a separation of 149 years.
(See https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivière-du-Loup)


Tadoussac is a village in Quebec, Canada, in the Regional County Municipality of La Haute-Côte-Nord and the Côte-Nord administrative region1. The 2006 census has 850 inhabitants2. Tadoussac is the first North American French establishment in North Florida.

Tadoussac could come from Montagnais "Totouskak" which means "udders"; two round hills are located west of the village.

• October 10, 1899: Erection of the village of Tadoussac.
• November 13, 1937: Erection of the parish of Tadoussac.
. April 9, 1949: Dissolution of the parish of Tadoussac.

Tadoussac is a pillar in the history of the colonization of New France. In 1535, going up the St. Lawrence River, Jacques Cartier is struck by its beauty and drops anchor. He was followed by Pierre de Chauvin, Sieur de Tonnetuit in 1599 and Samuel de Champlain in 1603, who shot the first pages of permanent European history in North America. Champlain even thought for a moment of establishing his colony in Tadoussac, but finally opted for Quebec, finding in this area a more welcoming region.
Tadoussac is the first North American French establishment in North Florida. First of all, a fur trading post is installed in France in New France (now in the province of Quebec in Canada). In 1599, King Henry IV granted the fur trade monopoly to Tadoussac, Dupont-Gravé and de Chauvin. The establishment was created in 1600 by François Dupont-Gravé and Pierre de Chauvin, Sieur de Tonnetuit. Only five of the sixteen men who accompanied him survived the first winter they spent in the "Habitation" they had built there. At the beginning of the seventeenth century, the region was inhabited during the summer months by an Innu tribe whose chief was Begourat.
The village of Tadoussac is recognized as the oldest in Quebec, it celebrated its 400th anniversary in 2001.

The village of Tadoussac is on the banks of the St. Lawrence River. Tadoussac is located in the province of Quebec in the North Shore.

The modern village of Tadoussac is located not far from the original trading post, at the mouth of the Saguenay River, on the borders of the tourist regions of Charlevoix and the North Shore. It is now a popular tourist destination, mainly for whale watching and the wild beauty of the Saguenay River glacial fjord. The village has also been recognized internationally since 1998 as part of the very select Club of the most beautiful bays in the world and it also becomes the first official member in North America. More than 300,000 visitors visit this village of less than 1,000 each year. There is the Tadoussac Chapel, the oldest surviving wooden chapel in Canada.


Hotel Tadoussac, 1915
The Tadoussac region is mainly made up of rural or wild areas and is the site of national and provincial parks, such as the Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park and the Saguenay National Park. A few kilometers from the village, you can climb the highest sand dunes in Canada. The Grand Hotel de Tadoussac also enjoys an international reputation, famous for its red roof immortalized by the filming of The New Hampshire Hotel after John Irving's novel. The Little Chapel, the Marine Mammal Interpretation Center and the Chauvin Trading Post are among the most popular tourist attractions for visitors from all over the world.
The Saguenay River flows into the St. Lawrence River and brings cold fresh water. However, at this point, because the river contains salt water and is much deeper, we are witnessing the construction of ideal turbulence where a unique flora and fauna abound. This is the reason why whales meet there. There are the largest cetaceans, including fin whales and sometimes blue whales. The seabed around Tadoussac has become the Saguenay-St. Lawrence Marine Park.

The Marine Mammal Interpretation Center, which also houses a Center for Scientific Research on Cetaceans and Marine Mammals, is open to visitors from May to October.

Longue-Rive is a municipality of Quebec in the regional county municipality of La Haute-Côte-Nord and in the administrative region of Côte-Nord.

• June 2, 1898: Erection of the township of Saint-Paul de Mille-Vaches.
• July 4, 1931: The canton of Saint-Paul de Mille-Vaches becomes the municipality of Saint-Paul du-Nord.
• January 1, 1947: Erection of the village of Sault-au-Mouton.
• March 15, 1969: The municipality of Saint-Paul du-Nord becomes the municipality of Saint-Paul-du-Nord. The village of Sault-au-Mouton becomes the village of Sault-au-Mouton.
• May 28, 1997: Merger of the municipality of Saint-Paul-du-Nord and the village of Sault-au-Mouton and creation of the municipality of Saint-Paul-du-Nord - Sault-au-Mouton.
October 10, 1998: The Municipality of Saint-Paul-du-Nord - Sault-au-Mouton becomes the municipality of Longue-Rive.

The many tourists visiting Tadoussac are particularly attracted by the cultural bubbling that is found in summer. One can discover among others the summer programming of the Festival of the Song of Tadoussac in the month of June. The rest of the summer, we can attend shows almost daily, either at the Café du Fjord, the Youth Hostel, the Gibar, Father Coquart Café Bohème or the basement of the church , as part of the Festival. One of the members of Quebec's worldbeat group Sagapool is from the village, so we can hear the band there every year. We can also see the troupe of the Ubus Theater which occurs every summer aboard a school bus. In recent years, a festival of traditional music has also been held in autumn. And most recently, in the summer of 2014, Tadoussac hosted the first Biblio beach in Quebec, the Biblio beach of Mrs. Chose!

• The Tadoussac Indian Chapel is one of the oldest wooden churches in North America4. The current chapel was built in 1747 under the orders of Father Claude Coquart, the work was completed on June 24, 1750.
• The Hotel Tadoussac was built in 1866 and rebuilt in 1942 in Anglo-Norman style, it was renovated in 2000/2001.
• Nicknamed "La Toupie", the lighthouse at the Prince's Shoal is located in the middle of the St. Lawrence River at the mouth of the Saguenay Fjord, about 7 km east of the village of Tadoussac. It is approximately 25.3 meters.
The Holy Cross Church
(Cf. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadoussac)
Intersection

Km 0 JCT Route 132 vs rue de L'Ancrage

Km 0 JCT Route 132 vs rue de L'Ancrage
panorama

Km .6 Rivière-du-Loup

Km .6 Rivière-du-Loup
panorama

Km .8 Piste

Km .8 Piste
panorama

Km 1.1 Piste suite

Km 1.1 Piste suite
panorama

Km 1.5 Fleuve

Km 1.5 Fleuve
panorama

Km 1.9 Croisière AML

Km 1.9 Croisière AML
panorama

Km 2.0 Traverse Rivière-du-Loup-St-Siméon

Km 2.0 Traverse Rivière-du-Loup-St-Siméon
Photo

Km 2.9 Traversier

Km 2.9 Traversier
panorama

Km 29.5 Bateau

Km 29.5 Bateau
panorama

Km 30 Saint-Siméon

Km 30 Saint-Siméon
panorama

Km 30.3 JCT 170

Km 30.3 JCT 170
panorama

Km 32.3 Pente

Km 32.3 Pente
panorama

Km 41.7 Route 132

Km 41.7 Route 132
panorama

Km 42.2 Lac À Pitre

Km 42.2 Lac À Pitre
panorama

Km 44.5 Tour

Km 44.5 Tour
panorama

Km 46.4 Maison typique

Km 46.4 Maison typique
panorama

Km 46.7 Pourvoirie Domaine de la Chute

Km 46.7 Pourvoirie Domaine de la Chute
panorama

Km 47.4 Lac du Portage

Km 47.4 Lac du Portage
panorama

Km 48.6 Halte - 2e Lac du Séminaire

Km 48.6 Halte - 2e Lac du Séminaire
panorama

Km 48.8 Halte

Km 48.8 Halte
panorama

Km 49.6 Pentr

panorama

Km 49.6 Pente

Km 49.6 Pente
panorama

Km 60.6 Baie-Sainte-Catherine

Km 60.6 Baie-Sainte-Catherine
panorama

Km 60.6 Rivière aux Canards

Km 60.6 Rivière aux Canards
panorama

Km 60.9 Camping et Ranch du Fjord

Km 60.9 Camping et Ranch du Fjord
panorama

Km 64.1 Baie

Km 64.1 Baie
panorama

Km 65.1 Baie

Km 65.1 Baie
panorama

Km 65.6 Mouettes

Km 65.6 Mouettes
panorama

Km 66 Panorama

Km 66 Panorama
panorama

Km 66.6 Trail

Km 66.6 Trail
panorama

Km 66.7 Centre D'interprétation

Km 66.7 Centre D'interprétation
panorama

Km 66.9 Traversier vers Tadoussac

Km 66.9 Traversier vers Tadoussac
Intersection

Km

Intersection

Km 67.9 Traversier

Km 67.9 Traversier
panorama

Km 68.5 Traverse

Km 68.5 Traverse
panorama

Km 70 Arrivée

Km 70 Arrivée
Intersection

Km 69.4 Sortie du bateau

Km 69.4 Sortie du bateau
Photo

Km 70 Tadoussac

Km 70 Tadoussac

Comments

    You can or this trail