Time  6 hours 4 minutes

Coordinates 5308

Uploaded September 6, 2016

Recorded September 2016

-
-
299 f
33 f
0
10
20
40.6 mi

Viewed 836 times, downloaded 0 times

near Drummondville, Québec (Canada)

|
Show original
Drummondville (API: / dʁɔmɔndvil /) is a Quebec city (Canada) located in the Drummond Regional County Municipality, in the Center-du-Québec region of which it is the chief town2. It is located 107 kilometers northeast of Montreal.

History
Drummondville, formerly Drummond, was founded in June 1815 by Lieutenant-Colonel Frederick George Heriot on the banks of the St. Francis River. We wanted to install demobilized soldiers following the War of 1812 and ensure a vigilant presence on one of the major access roads in the heart of Quebec, to prevent any possible invasion of the US military.
Drummondville did not really take off until after the construction in 1920 of the hydroelectric power station at Hemmings Falls, which favored sustained industrial growth.
Located in the heart of the Montérégienne Plain, between Montreal, Quebec, Sherbrooke and Trois-Rivières, Drummondville is at the crossroads of the most important road junction in Quebec and its favorable geographical position has allowed it to develop its textile industry - unfortunately declining since a few years. The efforts of the community and the Economic Development Corporation of Drummondville (CLD Drummond) have, however, allowed the local economy to diversify over the last 20 years to become a model of development for Quebec. In education. Drummondville is covered by the Commission scolaire des Chênes with 34 elementary schools, 5 secondary schools including a private college, a vocational training center (several pavilions) and a general adult education center. There is also a private college and a CEGEP (College of General and Professional Studies) which serves the educational needs of the region.




Origin of the name
The city of Drummondville was named in honor of Sir Gordon Drummond, General during the War of 1812, Trustee of Upper Canada from 1813 to 1815, and Acting Administrator of British North America from 1815 to 1816.

charms
Called Capital of Expression and Traditions, Drummondville presents tourist attractions centered on the cultures of yesterday and today. The main attractions are the Village Québécois of yesteryear, the Poutine Festival organized in August by Les Trois Accords and the Mondial des Cultures (formerly the World Folklore Festival), which takes place every year in Woodyatt Park. The show Ao La Légende had to finish its operations in 2010. The show and the old show, Legends Fantastiques, were presented from 1998 to 2010 (more than 500 performances).
The summer theater provided by Gilles Latulippe, Tree-in-Tree Drummondville, the Musée Populaire de la Photographie, the St-Frédéric Catholic Church and the St. George Protestant Church, the Maison des Arts Desjardins, the Wool Mill Ulverton and several sugar shacks are also among the main sights of the city. In addition to these attractions, there is also the Drummond Autodrome, which features races throughout the summer season, the Drummondville Voltigeurs hockey team (QMJHL), who play their local games at the Marcel-Dionne Center. La Courvalloise, which offers the opportunity to slide on tube, as well as various spaces for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
The city of Drummondville is an important place of business tourism. Indeed, Drummondville has two major centers for meetings and conventions: the Best Western Universel and Hotel & Suites Le Dauphin. The various hotels of the city offer more than 600 rooms and we find, in the city, many restaurants of all kinds. The strategic positioning of the city, which lies halfway between Montreal, Quebec City, Trois-Rivières and Sherbrooke, is also no stranger to the success of the city in business. Moreover, the city of Drummondville has just inaugurated its brand new fair center, Le Centerxpo Cogeco (100,000 square feet).
Drummondville is located south of the St. Lawrence River. It is one of the major cities that make it possible to create a tourist circuit between Montreal and Quebec City. This is one of the many tours offered in Southern Quebec, which allow visitors to discover Quebec's traditions, culture and good local gastronomy. It is in Drummondville that we find the restaurant Le Roy Jucep, presumed inventor of poutine.

Road network
The 20/55 multiplex, passing north-west of Drummondville (exits 173 to 210). Highway 20 is also part of the Trans-Canada Highway.
Highway 20, the Trans-Canada Highway, passes west and north of the city, crossing the St. Francis River, with 5 exits to the city, exits 173 (A-55), 175 (Highway 143 north, Saint-Bonaventure), 177 (Downtown, Route 143 (St. Joseph Blvd.)), 179 (Golf Road) and 181 (Foucault Boulevard). Highway 55, on the other hand, passes south of the city, and exits 116 (Route 139), 122 (Jean-de-Brébeuf Boulevard) and 125 (Downtown, Route 122 (Saint-Pierre Street) connect the 55 in Drummondville.
Route 143 is the main commercial artery of the city, crossing the city in a northwesterly / southeasterly direction. It takes the boulevard Saint-Joseph and the section of the Lemire boulevard to the north of the 20. The road 122 takes Saint-Pierre street (since Saint-Germain-de-Grantham), then leaves Drummondville towards Saint-Cyrille-de-Wendover northeasterly along Saint-Georges Street and University Boulevard. Other important arteries of the city are: Lemire Boulevard, Janelle Street and Mercure Boulevard.
Drummondville, located at the junction of Highways 20 (Trans-Canada Highway) and 55, is located exactly 102 kilometers from downtown Montreal (90 kilometers from the island) and 148 kilometers from downtown Quebec City (135 kilometers Quebec bridges) via Highway 20. It is also located 72 kilometers from downtown Sherbrooke, accessible via Highway 55 South. Trois-Rivières is located 77 kilometers from Drummondville via highways 20 and 55 north.
On Highway 20, Drummondville is not indicated on the road signs (except on those of distance), even if Drummondville is the principal city between Montreal and Quebec. However, on Highway 55 North (from Sherbrooke), Drummondville is indicated on the road signs 3.

Airport
The Drummondville Airport is located northeast of Saint-Nicéphore, 10 kilometers southeast of downtown Drummondville.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drummondville)
Nicolet is a city of Quebec (Canada) located in the Regional County Municipality of Nicolet-Yamaska ​​of which it is the chief town, and the administrative region of Center-du-Québec1. The city is also a bishopric and is home to the National Police School of Quebec. It is partially included in the Lac-Saint-Pierre Biosphere Reserve.
The 2006 census has 7827 inhabitants.

Toponymy
The name of Nicolet commemorates Jean Nicolet (c. 1598-1642), explorer and grocer of the company of the Cent-Associés. He explored the Great Lakes region to Mexico. Although he never lived there, he explored the place during the seven years he lived in Trois-Rivières. The place is also known in Abenaki as pinguin or Pithiganek, which means "entrance" 3.

Geography
Related article: Geography of Quebec.
Nicolet is located 140 km northeast of Montreal and 20 km southwest of Trois-Rivières. The territory of 96.11 km2 is located in the administrative region of Center-du-Québec and the MRC of Nicolet-Yamaska. It shares its limits with the cities of Trois-Rivières and Bécancour, the municipalities of Grand-Saint-Esprit, Sainte-Monique, Visitation-de-Yamaska ​​and Baie-du-Febvre.
The city is located in the St. Lawrence Lowlands. The relief of Nicolet is generally flat, with a slight slope from north to south. It is intersected by the valleys of the Nicolet River and the Nicolet Southwest River on a northwest / southeast axis. Altitude ranges from 3 m at Lake Saint-Pierre and the St. Lawrence River to 52 m near La Visitation-de-Yamaska. The city is located at the eastern limit of Lake Saint-Pierre. The subsoil is composed of schist, sandstone and limestone dating from the Upper Ordovician4.
Nicolet is located on Route 132, which crosses the city along an east-west axis and connects it to Bécancour and Sorel-Tracy. It is also located at the north end of Highway 259. Nicolet is not connected to public transit.

Protection of the territory
Related article: Lac Saint-Pierre.
The eastern part of the Nicolet River and north of Highway 132 is part of the Lake St. Pierre Biosphere Reserve. This reserve, created in 2000, aims to protect Lake Saint-Pierre, 12% of which remains wild, while allowing humans living inside to live in harmony. The lake is also an important migratory stopover for birds and is recognized as a Ramsar site. The Nicolet Bird Sanctuary, which is partly in the city, is considered the central area of ​​the reserve5.
In addition to the reserve, we find in the city the Anse du Port ecological park located on the shore of the St. Lawrence. With the help of an 823 m long trail, this park allows you to cross the marshes and reach the river6.
In the urban sector, there are two private nature reserves, namely the Boisé-des-Sœurs-de-l'Assomption and Boisé-du-Séminaire nature reserves. The city rents the two plots for the purpose of developing an urban park7.
History change the code]
Related article: History of Quebec.
In 1668, Pierre Mouet Sieur de Moras 8 settled on the island that bears his name and built his seigniorial manor house. Jean Talon granted the seigneury of Nicolet to Arnoult de Bois de Loubias in 1672. The lordship was acquired in 1673 by Michel Cresse and then in 1696 by Jean-Baptiste Poulin de Courval. The Saint-Jean-Baptiste mission was founded in 1701. A chapel was built in 1710 on the grounds of Jacques Daniau and a presbytery was added in 1722. Nicolet obtained a resident priest in 1729. The second church was built between 1734 and 1740. The first Acadian settlers arrived in Nicolet in 1756, following the deportation of the Acadians. The third church was built between 1781 and 1784. The first elementary school opened in 1801.

the National Police School.

The Nicolet Seminary, the third classic college in Lower Canada, opened in 1803. The parish of Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Nicolet was canonically erected in 1831. The fourth church was built in 1873. The bell tower collapsed shortly thereafter but could not be rebuilt because of the weakness of the structure. The episcopal seat of Nicolet was established in 1885.
In 1887, the Brothers of the Christian Schools founded the Commercial Academy. Construction of the second cathedral began in 1897 but part of the building collapsed in 1899. On June 21, 1906, a fire destroyed a neighborhood of the city including the two cathedrals and the Mother House of the Sisters of the Assumption . The new headquarters of the Sisters of the Assumption and the Normal School for Girls were inaugurated in 1908. The School of Agriculture was founded in 1938 at the Nicolet Seminary. A Canadian Forces Test Center was established in 1952.
On March 21, 1955, a fire destroyed 35 buildings9 and sent 75 families to the street. A place now bears the name "Place du 21-Mars" in memory of this tragedy.
On November 12, 1955, a landslide along the banks of the Nicolet River destroyed the Commercial Academy and part of the bishopric. The cathedral had to be demolished. A street is now called "12 November Street" in memory of this collapse. The street in question runs along the Nicolet River, where the landslide took place. The present cathedral was inaugurated in 1963.
The Rodolphe-Duguay studio and house were built respectively in 1854 and 1927.10 The former building of the Nicolet Seminary houses the National Police School of Quebec since 1968.

Demography
Related article: Demography of Quebec.
Evolution of Nicolet's population11
Municipalities 1991 1996 2001 2006
Nicolet 4 789 4 352 7 92812 7 827
Nicolet South 396,367
Saint-Jean-Baptiste-de-Nicolet 2,751 3,076
The population of Nicolet was 7,827 in 2006 and 7,928 in 2001, a decrease of 1.3% in 5 years2. However, it is necessary to emphasize here the phenomenon of the diminution of the religious communities. Very important in the demographic portrait Nicoletain, the latter have considerably decreased over the years. For languages, 99% of the inhabitants of the city have French as their mother tongue. The remaining 1% includes speakers of English, Portuguese and Vietnamese13.
66.2% of Nicolet's population is urban14. The population of the urban area of ​​Nicolet is 5,180 in 2006, for an area of ​​5.96 km2 and a density of 869.1 hab./km215.

Education
Curé-Brassard Elementary School, located on Louis-Fréchette Boulevard, welcomes students from kindergarten to Grade 6. Jean-Nicolet High School, located on Monseigneur-Brunault Street, welcomes students from Secondary 1 to 5. Notre-Dame-de-l'Assomption College (CNDA), located on Saint-Jean-Baptiste Street, is a private mixed secondary school.
At the level of higher education, Nicolet owns the National Police School of Quebec and the School of Agriculture of Nicolet. Trois-Rivières, located about twenty kilometers from Nicolet, has other colleges and a university.

Religion
Saint-Jean-Baptiste Cathedral of Nicolet
The city has the Cathedral of Saint-Jean-Baptiste Nicolet and the Diocese of Nicolet.

(Cf. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolet)
panorama

Km 0 Drummondville

Km 0 Drummondville
Intersection

Km .2 JCT St-Joseph vs Richard

Km .2 JCT St-Joseph vs Richard
Intersection

Km 1 de l'Émissaire

Km 1 de l'Émissaire
Intersection

Km 3.1 JCT Route verte 4

Km 3.1 JCT Route verte 4
panorama

Km 8 Chemin du Golf O

Km 8 Chemin du Golf O
panorama

Km 8.7 Parking

Km 8.7 Parking
panorama

Km 8.7 Parc du Sanctuaire St-Majorique

Km 8.7 Parc du Sanctuaire St-Majorique
panorama

Km 8.8 Halte vélo

Km 8.8 Halte vélo
panorama

Km 9 Route verte 4 Pont

Km 9 Route verte 4 Pont
panorama

Km 11 Trail

Km 11 Trail
panorama

Km 11.1 Pont

Km 11.1 Pont
panorama

Km 12.2 Halte Rivière

Km 12.2 Halte Rivière
panorama

Km 14.2 Piste en forêt

Km 14.2 Piste en forêt
panorama

Km 16.1 Traverse

Km 16.1 Traverse
panorama

Km 16.4 Piste sur route

Km 16.4 Piste sur route
panorama

Km 19.1 Route et Champ de blés

Km 19.1 Route et Champ de blés
panorama

Km 20.2 Maisons et Rivière

Km 20.2 Maisons et Rivière
panorama

Km 23.1 Arbres

Km 23.1 Arbres
panorama

Km 29.8 Rivière St-François

Km 29.8 Rivière St-François
Bridge

Km 32.3 Pont aux Vaches

Km 32.3 Pont aux Vaches
panorama

Km 32.7 vers St-François-du-Lac

Km 32.7 vers St-François-du-Lac
Intersection

Kim 37.5 JCT Route 132

Kim 37.5 JCT Route 132
Bridge

Km 37.6 Pont David-Laperrière

Km 37.6 Pont David-Laperrière
panorama

Km 37.9 Pierreville

Km 37.9 Pierreville
Intersection

Km 42 JCT Route 132 vs Ste-Anne

Km 42 JCT Route 132 vs Ste-Anne
panorama

Kim 41.3 Ste-Anne

Kim 41.3 Ste-Anne
panorama

Km 44.8 JCT Route de la ligne

Km 44.8 JCT Route de la ligne
panorama

Km 45.1 JCT Rang Pays-Brulé

Km 45.1 JCT Rang Pays-Brulé
Intersection

Km 50.6 JCT Route 255

Km 50.6 JCT Route 255
panorama

Km 57.3 Village de Nicolet

Km 57.3 Village de Nicolet
panorama

Km 60.3 Piste sur route

Km 60.3 Piste sur route
panorama

Km 61.5 Route et champs

Km 61.5 Route et champs
panorama

Kim 65 Pont Pierre-Roy

Kim 65 Pont Pierre-Roy
panorama

Km 65.3 Nicolet

Km 65.3 Nicolet

Comments

    You can or this trail