Search for:

Board index  »  Questions, help, problems... all about Wikiloc  »  Trail distances incorrect

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 17:19 Reply with quote Report this post
Apologies if this has been addressed before, I could not find anything relevant via a forum search.

I have uploaded two gpx trails, direct from my Garmin Oregon. The trail distances are shown on Wikilocs incorrectly.

For the "Parish Ramble", the correct (and as seen on upload to Garmin) distance is 6.63 miles. Wikilocs thinks it is 8.34 miles. For the "Somerby Circuit", the correct distance is 3.96 miles, Wikilocs shows 5.44 miles.

Any idea why this is happening, and is there a fix I can apply?

Cheers,

Nigel

Trails from simplysup
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2012, 15:39 Reply with quote Report this post
Me too. A 3 mile walk takes 2 minutes!

Trails from DerekD
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 14:45 Reply with quote Report this post
Same problem here. Some of the trails uploaded today from my Oregon show double the actual length!

Trails from eritho
PostPosted: 31 Jan 2012, 14:52 Reply with quote Report this post
Just checked again. The Garajonay trail shows up as 11,59 km. In real it is 4,18 km, which is also stated right in my Oregon. As far as I can see it is not possible to modify this afterwards. Any ideas?

Trails from eritho
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 14:49 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi all,

Based on the information you posted we checked out the algorithm taking care of distance calculations and we realized there was something wrong about it, and that it was adding more distance on certain trails (few of them, but still a bug). So we rolled up sleeves and have fixed it. From now on all posted tracks should get the correct distance. Some of the old trails already posted might have the issue, but we have fixed all your trails manually, so in this case, the three of you should have the correct distances.

Thank you for helping us to make Wikiloc better!
Edu
Wikiloc

Trails from edumartinell
PostPosted: 02 Feb 2012, 15:15 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks a lot :)

Trails from eritho
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 19:00 Reply with quote Report this post
DerekD wrote:
Me too. A 3 mile walk takes 2 minutes!

Pretty fast I´d say! ;)
Anyhow I do have Problems with my GPS, however it is just from an LG phone, so maybe that explains it..

Trails from Mindsweeper
PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 16:55 Reply with quote Report this post
Haven't tried the App on an LG phone but it's true that measures differ sometimes to a great extent depending on the device used. Specially elevations, where even high-end outdoor GPS models tend to miscalculate them. It's a tricky subject and although few can be done once we have a specific hardware, we can always try to follow some best practices to get the best signal from the GPS satellites. There're great tutorials online, but personally I've found that simply keeping the device with a good view of the sky during all our ride, I sometimes find it upside down at the bottom of my backpack :), is usually enough.

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2012, 12:12 Reply with quote Report this post
Hello everyone,
I am a new user of Wikiloc,
I tried to upload 2 new trails using the "draw your trail by hand" option, but I found the same problem. Distance calculation is incorrect (double the actual length). In the comments above, edumartinell said that the problem was fixed, but it seems to me that this problem came up again.

any suggestions?

Sara

Trails from saraema
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2012, 13:44 Reply with quote Report this post
saraema wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am a new user of Wikiloc,
I tried to upload 2 new trails using the "draw your trail by hand" option, but I found the same problem. Distance calculation is incorrect (double the actual length). In the comments above, edumartinell said that the problem was fixed, but it seems to me that this problem came up again.

any suggestions?

Sara

Hi saraema,
can you post the url of the trail which has an incorrect distance?
Thanks.

Trails from jeprubio