Search for:

Board index  »  Questions, help, problems... all about Wikiloc  »  New filters for searches

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 15:57 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi everyone,

One of the most common requests to improve Wikiloc which many users ask for is definitely improving the search for trails existing on the system. It is difficult (or, rather, long) to find trails based on criteria such as the type of activity, distance or trail difficulty. We knew it was a necessary improvement but we have not been able to put it on the system for quite some time. But search filters are finally here!

In the last few days on all search pages and listings of trails you have on the left side of the screen different filters that can be applied to fine-tune searches and quickly reach the trails you're interested in. The filters which can be applied are:

- Loop trails or just one way
- Trail distance
- Type of activity
- Difficulty
- Origin of the track (GPS, mobile, hand-drawn)

In addition to those new filters there's another feature added in the search results. Now these results can be sorted according to three different criteria :

- Popularity : the 'best' trail first (a 'best trail' means having a higher quality track, a good description and title, many visits, pictures and videos added, etc)
- Relevance : first the trails with the search criteria in the title, description, etc.
- Upload date : the latest added trails on top of the list

Also note that you can activate an activity as the search criteria by the default in all searches. That is, if you have set it up that you like climbing, on the searches you do (provided that you are logged in the system) will focus only on climbing trails, and the results will show up only this type of trails (you can then modify the criteria to broaden it up to more activity types). To set the default activity in searches you must select the activity on your user profile.

What do you think of these improvements? All comments and recommendations are welcome!

Best,
Edu Martinell
Wikiloc

Trails from edumartinell
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2012, 01:21 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks for the new Filters!

What I'm really looking for, in a filter, is to be able to find things just in my area.

For example, I want to limit my search to NH (New Hampshire) or New England, so when I search for "Flat Mountain" I'm not finding things in other countries or hundreds or thousands of miles away. If you could specify a "base" lon/lat as part of the search and then say "Limit search to xxx miles from base", that would be great!

So, keep all the filters you now have but add a "Distance from Reference", so we can say search a 50 or 100 mile radius for whatever the other filters specify.

Hope this makes senses to you; that I've explained it clearly.

Thanks!

/JCE

Trails from JCE
PostPosted: 30 May 2012, 09:23 Reply with quote Report this post
We're currently working on this feature. Thanks for the heads up!

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 16:03 Reply with quote Report this post
Hi,
I think it would be very useful to mix the filter search with the map.
I think the best would be to have at the same time:

-map
-filters
-list of trails

When I look for a bike trail as first thing I decide where to go so I would like to set up the map centered in the area I would like to go.
Then I need filters to limit the choice of trails available.
In Wikiloc if I look for a trail in the map I'm not able anymore to set any filter and there may be hundreds of trails to check....I find this very uncofortable....I usually go to other web sites for this pourpose.

Thanks
MAtteo

Trails from matteo_p
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2012, 16:59 Reply with quote Report this post
Thanks Matteo for your suggestion confirming the need to mix filters & map search. It is already in the features pipeline.

Jordi

Trails from Jordi
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2013, 19:00 Reply with quote Report this post
Following what JCE said above. I'm in Colorado in the Rocky Mountain National Park. However, the trail I posted is categorized as being in Fall River Subdivision. This doesn't make any sense to me. Is there a way that I could edit that category and correct it to read "Rocky Mountain National Park"?

Trails from huddave